Sump vs filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank would you guys recommend getting a sump or just staying with filter?

Depends on what your definition of filter.

The sump is better because it adds water volume, it also gives you a place for heaters, skimmers, probes, etc.

I don't use a traditional filter on my setup. I have the live rock and live sand.

So with my 55 gallon what size tank should I get for the sump? And then what do I need two dividers? What else would I need?

And also what would I be looking for with price

Well they can be anywhere

From custom sumps (hundreds of dollars) to a rubber maid container.

It depends on what you can fit under your
Stand.

I personally use a 20l aquarium.

As for dividers that's up to you. I have just a bubble trap at the end before my return.

You need the container, you need a return pump (pumps water back to the aquarium) and a way to get the water down to the sump. This can be either built In over flows if your tank has it, you can drill the tank, or you can get a overflow box.

You'll need 3-4 pieces of glass or acrylic. I prefer acrylic because it is easier to work with and bends a bit (thus being a bit easier to tight fit. The best thing you could do is find a store that has pre-built sumps and simply copy the layout.

My goodness, that "How to" on building a sump from the Michigan reefers was helpful. The last time I built a sump was over 15 years ago and while it served my needs well, I'm thinking this plan is a much better solution to a number of problems I had. I'm new to this forum but an "old salt" Thanks so much. I'm loving it around here!

My goodness, that "How to" on building a sump from the Michigan reefers was helpful. The last time I built a sump was over 15 years ago and while it served my needs well, I'm thinking this plan is a much better solution to a number of problems I had. I'm new to this forum but an "old salt" Thanks so much. I'm loving it around here!

glad i was able to help this forum is awesome so welcome to the family lol and happy reefing

here is a pic of my 90 with a 30 gallon sump but you will get the idea
2mhvcbq.jpg
[/IMG]
iwmcye.jpg
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom