What are the best filter systems and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best filtration for a saltwater tank: lots of live rock, deep sand bed, algae turf scrubber, sump filled with various macro algae and lr rubble, and a skimmer. By far hands down the best natural filtration. But no mater how good your filtration is there is alway a need to change the water. combine all this and you have the best filtration you can get.

Sumps are way better, but depends on your situation. I also have a smaller tank, I travel, and I move about every 2-3 years. So a sump would just be too much work with all of that!

Carey -
I'm in the process of setting up my first SW in a 29gal. I think I have my whole game plan thanks to everyone here and especially you! My last remaining question is I currently have a HOB filter rated for a 30gal. Do you recommend upgrading to a more powerful canister? And would the type of media I use be the same in the HOB and canister? From your previous posts, you suggested: "biomedia, carbon or GFO, filter pads, and filter floss"

I use an aquaclear 50 on my 20g and used the 50 on my 29g tank as well. It's primary purpose is to catch particulate matter and for running any media you need at the time. I use the sponge on the bottom that comes with the filter and half the time run carbon. The rest of the space you can put in GFO and/or bio media rings.

Hope that helps!

Just changed the water, scrubbed, detail vacuumed the rock, rinsed filter media in the tank water.

image-330826867.jpg

image-3203568919.jpg

image-1010242863.jpg

Good skimmer,fluval g6 and a Berlin style sump forget the fuge it's not needed !! Tryed many for years ended up with this combo works for me !! Very happy with the g6 if you can afford a $500 canister filter

There is no BEST. Every setup is different. Cannisters have their place as do wet/dry systems.

For my 125 SW the best (or at least what I have) is ~180 pounds of LR with a DSB, sump with skimmer, bio-pellets, and macro algae. I also run GAC occasionally.

EriksFish315 said:
Where's the pics of the inverts? What ones you have in there? And the thrid pic looks like aiptasia

Inverts are anything without a backbone right?

I have a dotty back puesdo and a clarkii clown. Thays all the yellow stand by and ill take another pic! :)

Yeah if you can get another few opinions I'm new to this but deff looks like aiptasia to me a pest anemone that will spread and cold manage other corals in the tank.

It's aiptasia. Get some Joe's Juice, or use a squirt of undiluted lemon juice, or some kalk paste. Joe's Juice is the easiest.

Well.... I kinda like them. Im not doing any hard corals because i don't have $300.00 dollars to my name. This overhead is starting to shine ...

Back
Top Bottom