1 Month!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8taktaktak8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've owned my tank for exactly one month. The tank was already established with various fish, live plants (need to be identified), filter, light, heater, air stone, and decorations. So most of the hard work was done before it moved into my home. I feel as if I've been playing catch up, but am excited to have a thriving, living world in my living room. Always, advice is welcome!

I've owned my tank for exactly one month. The tank was already established with various fish, live plants (need to be identified), filter, light, heater, air stone, and decorations. So most of the hard work was done before it moved into my home. I feel as if I've been playing catch up, but am excited to have a thriving, living world in my living room. Always, advice is welcome!

What size tank? What's filtering it? What fish/etc do you have in there?

Sorry for a bit of a jumble, just pulled it from my profile:

36 gallon tank
3 Neon Tetras
6 Peppered Corydoras
5 Southern Platy
3 Glowlight Tetras
1 Nerite Snail
8 Various live plants
AquaClear 110 Filter
Aqueon Pro Submersible Heater
Coralife Aqualite T5 HO Dual

Sorry for a bit of a jumble, just pulled it from my profile:

36 gallon tank
3 Neon Tetras
6 Peppered Corydoras
5 Southern Platy
3 Glowlight Tetras
1 Nerite Snail
8 Various live plants
AquaClear 110 Filter
Aqueon Pro Submersible Heater
Coralife Aqualite T5 HO Dual

It's good that you got a big filter for your tank. You really need to be keeping tetras in larger groups for them to do better. The same thing applies to corys.
Also, are your Platys 2m 3f? or 1m 4f? You never want more males than females. They females get harassed too much and they become unwell.

Back to the tetras. I suggest picking either glowlights or neons, and getting rid of the other kind of tetra. Get 10 at least of the one you choose If it were a smaller tank you could get 7. My vote is neons because I like they way they look better.
If you really wanted to, you could keep both kinds of tetra and get 7 of each. I just don't want you to put too many fish in there.

Try to change 25-30% of the water once a week.

You could also add another 3 corys. I'm glad you aren't grossly overstocked like most newbs are. And your fish are all highly compatible.

What are you feeding your fish right now?

If you want something different and interesting, you could add a group of (very hardy) amano shrimp. Just make sure you feed them. They do better that way than just being left to scraps and algae. There's actual shrimp food you can get online. The Amano shrimp aren't too expensive. They get pretty big, live a long time, and are interesting to watch. You could throw 10 in there no problem.

We currently have 2 male and 3 female platys.

As far as the other fish, these are the ones that the woman we bought the tank from gave us. She cut down the number of fish in the tank to help us newbies out. Very likely, we will just let those guys in the tank now do their thing for awhile until we feel comfortable with more. Also, we were warned that the platys are reproduction machines, so I'm feeling a bit tentative about taking on more fish than the tank (or I) can handle.

We currently have 2 male and 3 female platys.

As far as the other fish, these are the ones that the woman we bought the tank from gave us. She cut down the number of fish in the tank to help us newbies out. Very likely, we will just let those guys in the tank now do their thing for awhile until we feel comfortable with more. Also, we were warned that the platys are reproduction machines, so I'm feeling a bit tentative about taking on more fish than the tank (or I) can handle.

It's not hard to net out the young platys and sell them to a pet shop or other forum members etc. I wouldn't worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom