Glad to be here... need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandiggity

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm Brandy, new to the fish world.
I got into the hobby suddenly when a friend gave me some endlers and I had no idea what I was doing.
I bought a tank, threw them in and well.... I'm sure we all know the outcome lol.
They all died, except one had fry and they were all eaten (had no idea this would happen) but one survived.
I got 6 tetras afterward and the little fry just stayed hidden, I felt bad so I bought another tank for the tetras (20gal) and put the little baby endler in her own tank, and bought a couple guppies to keep her company. She was too young to sex at the time, turns out she's a female lol male guppies, so now she's pregnant....
After learning all the stuff and making all the mistakes I now have healthy, planted and fully cycled tanks... but here's the issue... She's been pregnant for what seems like forever. She will not drop her fry...
Originally I was gonna keep her in the guppy tank and let nature take its course. But it's been at least 2 months and one male guppy (who I assume be the daddy lol) keeps following her, and nipping at her butt. So I moved her to a birthing box in my community tank. She's been in there about a week or so now, and still no fry.
Her gravid spot is huge, she looks as if she's gonna explode at this point.... is there anything I can do to help her along?
I know they will hold fry if the parameters aren't efficient or if she feels unsafe. Hence moving her to the birthing box, and I've tried making the water a bit warmer, feeding her a bit more than usual, putting more foliage in the box for hiding etc... nothing has worked.

Any advice is welcome.

I really dont know much about endlers or guppies, but have you tried putting her in a breeder box?
Like one of those screened in boxes that you can still keep inside the same tank?
Maybe she is afraid the males will eat them??
And do you have a cave or good hiding spot??
I really dont know..
But that would be my best advice! Lol.
Best of luck to you!!

The gestation period for guppies is from 21 to 30 days. If it has been longer lets do a health check. When you look down at her( from the top of your tank) does her
Scales point outward instead of lying flush with her body?
A loss of color in her gills?
Clamping of the fins?
A curve developing in her spine?
Pale feces?
Swelling near their anus?
A loss of appetite?
A lack of energy and movement?

Scales look firmly flush and intact.. a while back when we hit a heat wave my tank temp spiked, I got it down quickly as soon as I noticed but she did develop clamped fins and went pretty pale, lethargic etc. She's since been fine, that was at least a few weeks back and she seems to be 100% right now.
She's eating just fine, poops seem fine, as far as I can see there's no abnormal curve in the spine, and her gills look a bit bulgey underneath from pregnancy I'm assuming, but not discolored..
She's very lively, and seems to not mind the birthing box which I have set up in my community tank along side the filter out take so that she gets water flow without too much current.. there's fake and live plants in there with her for hiding purposes etc. I keep her food on stock but in smaller doses.

Tested the parameters again today with my usual maintenance, everything is on point.
Ph 7.0
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate is 10
Temp stays at 82°

My other fish are laying eggs just fine, idk if there's much difference in birthing conditions or whatever, but I think I may get a couple more females, and put her back in the guppy tank in hopes that the male doesn't stalk her like he was.. then maybe she will drop her fry in her home tank.

Idk what else to do at this point.

One thing I've noticed that is different, is that she swims on a bit of a slant. I assumed it's just from being so big and pregnant. As I've heard it could make it harder for them to swim..? It doesn't affect her swimming at all, she's just a little slanted lol.
It's more like a lean.. I've checked to see if her fins were damaged at all or anything, and they're fine.

Back
Top Bottom