Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gelmi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, my name is Krysta. :)

I'm a girl, 20 years young, and recently (a couple of months ago) found myself getting really into aquarium keeping, which was strange because I've never had a thing for fish or aquariums.

My mom has a 55 gallon, and when we were at the fish store I saw a really cool Electric Blue Crayfish, and I really wanted her to get it since I've never seen a blue one before and thought it would be a cool diverse addition to her community tank. However, I learned that her tank and tankmates were completely unsuitable. So, I made the decision to try something completely new and get my own 29 gallon tank so that I could own the little guy.

Now (2-3 months later) my tank is just fine, with one female Gold Gourami, the crayfish, and six Red-Eyed Tetra. Since starting I haven't lost a single fish (although the male Gourami that I had became a bully, so he had to go in my mom's tank). Which I'm surprised by, considering I did hardly any research before adding my inhabitants. The most I did was make sure all of the species had matching water parameters and were compatible with each other, and not too large for the tank.

You can see further details about it in my profile, but since starting this tank, I've done a large amount of further research on aquarium-keeping in general as well as on specific species of fish, types of diseases, plant species, the whole cycling process, acclimatization process, etc. Even though i've only had a few months of actual hands-on experience with a tank, I consider myself to be past the newbie stage due to everything I've learned through research and what little experience I've had thus far. I do more research every day - hours of it - and hope to eventually work in a fish store, or maybe even start my own one day.

I'm planning on moving to California at the start of next year (leaving this tank behind for my folks to look after) so I'm now planning my next tank - a 55 gallon, which I'll post a separate thread for as I'd like to get opinions on it. :)

Sorry for the long introduction. I thought it would make sense to explain what inspired me to get my first tank. I look forward to hanging out here and seeing everyone else's tanks, and having a place to post updates and questions about my own, because I'll be ****ed if my folks and friends aren't tired of me spewing about my tank all the time. :p

Also, if you'd like to see it, here's a video of my tank:

Back
Top Bottom