Hey there! Question re. Cycling and fish health

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm Maz, mum to two little ones, and have just set up our first fish tank. We have 2 baby Fantail Goldfish in a 28L tank. Quick question: is it possible that I've successfully cycled the tank in one week!? I stuck a huge piece of wood with plants attached from an established tank, and had the water tested at the pet shop this morning. Ammonia was zero, Nitrites were just above zero (between zero and the next box on the chart), and the Nitrates were high (but comfortably below the 50ppm limit). I will retest tomorrow to make sure, as one fish seems a little distressed (fins clamped but no other sign of illness). He started looking 'off' three days ago. He still feeds well though, he just looks a bit sorry for himself. His little tank buddy is absolutely fine. Any thoughts?

Hello. Welcome to AA!

Though it is possible to cycle in one week, it would require large amounts of seeded filter media from an established tank. A few decorations from one will definitely help speed up the process but won't make it that fast.

Unfortunately I have some bad news about the goldfish. Because of their expected size and the amount of waste they produce, keeping them in a 28L tank, even for the short term, isn't a viable option. Goldfish produce large amounts of waste for a fish of their size. Because of this they require at least 80L of water for the first fish and 40L for each after that. So for your two your looking at a 120L tank at the very minimum. I know it sounds like a lot but the larger the tank, the easier to keep the water conditions clean.

I would suggest that you invest in your own liquid test kit. A kit is an essential tool when it comes to cycling a tank. Water parameters can change in a matter if hours in over stocked, cycling tanks.

Here is an article one of our experienced members wrote for another site.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom