Hey y'all from Georgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lavendyr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am from far North Georgia. Have had a small FW tank in past and really enjoyed it. Never set one up again after we moved and now we are getting a FREE SW tank this weekend. A friend of my husbands remodeled his business which had a 150 gal SW tank. It no longer can fit where it was so he is giving it to us. It supposedly has everything as far as supplies, filters, lights, salt, etc., coming with it. I'm really excited but intimidated. Heck I am just trying to figure out the best place in the house for it!

Anyway, I am looking forward to learning and diving into this hobby!

Welcome to the forum! I grew up in Dahlonega and then Cumming before I moved to Louisiana.

WoW!!! Lavendyr that is quite a step, right into a 150 salt tank :) Well maybe we can help you get going,

Welcome to the forum! I grew up in Dahlonega and then Cumming before I moved to Louisiana.

I go to school in Dahlonega..practically live there during semesters..I'm sure you remember North Georgia College? It's actually University of North Ga now.

WoW!!! Lavendyr that is quite a step, right into a 150 salt tank :) Well maybe we can help you get going,

Yeah TELL me about it!!! Thus why I'm having trouble thinking about where the monster is going to go! If it was coming during the semester I'd say no but have a break till mid June so lots of time to research and cycle it if it needs it. I hope they are leaving a little water in it to keep the sand and other stuff wet.

Lavendyr said:
I go to school in Dahlonega..practically live there during semesters..I'm sure you remember North Georgia College? It's actually University of North Ga now.

Cool! I vaguely remember it being there, but when we were in Dahlonega I was really young and we lived way out in the boonies, on the Ettowa River.

Good luck finding a spot for that monster tank! I wish I had room for something that size. Also, be sure the floor can support it! That thing is going to way a lot!

Good luck finding a spot for that monster tank! I wish I had room for something that size. Also, be sure the floor can support it! That thing is going to way a lot!

I'm definitely concerned about that. As much as I would love to have it upstairs where we can see and enjoy it everyday I worry about the weight on these hardwood floors. I think it would weigh more than our crazy heavy king size log bed! It may just have to go in the unfinished basement which my husband considers his mancave. Would be on concrete slab and by a window (no direct light) so water changes would be easy.

OMG I just looked up the wt of water....just the water alone...and this is for all 150 gal...would be 1253 lbs!!!! Yep!!! Basement!

Last edited:
Wish I had a basement I could put tanks in! But noooo, I live below sea level where basements are simply not a good idea. Basement sounds like a good plan unless you know your floor can support the weight. You could always have somebody come check out your floorplans and the support structure under the main floor.

Back
Top Bottom