Howdy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbishopw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Jim here. I kept African Cichlids in a 50 gallon many moons ago. When the war ended and the last fish standing was the pleco, I got a few Oscars that lived for many years until the Pleco died whilst I was away on vacation, so I took them to the local shop. Due to sheer dumb luck, not my credit, the shopkeeper said they were beautiful and asked my secret. Infrequent water changes and feed them goldfish once in a while?

Anyway, that was many moons ago. I got a 70 gallon tank for Christmas, and in my more mature years, I have researched the crap out of cycling. Wait what, don't just throw in fish and get lucky? I'm doing a fishless cycle with ammonia. Spreadsheets, logs and whole shebang. Sure, the wait sucks, but as I've built 15 different fish "rosters", I am nowhere close to adding the first species.

I'm going to go planted with a few driftwood places and build some flat-rock caves, let the plants get established after the cycle, then hopefully I'll have a roster to work with. Well, at least enough to the first school in.

Nice to meet all of you, and look forward to bugging you with questions, or hopefully sharing some successes.

Jim

Thanks!

I'll probably need it. Barely into a fishless cycle right now. Made spreadsheets of species/parameters/sizes/compatibility to keep me occupied until then. Kind of switch them out like a baseball roster to see what works. Reminds me of my coaching days.

Good fun, but patience sucks.

Back
Top Bottom