New to Forum - Relatively new to hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, all. I was forced into this hobby in March when my mother-in-law bought my son a 5 gallon hex-tank for his birthday. Over time, I became more and more interested, but regrettably didn't have any room in his tank to add fish.

I also couldn't figure out why everything I bought died. For the life of me, I couldn't figure this one out. Then, I found a local fish store (LFS, I believe you guys are calling it?) I have learned alot from this guy, the most important of which is that I won't by anything at the "big box" stores again - at least not fish. They're great for tanks and supplies, but if I get something that's alive, I'm going to the fish store.

I was excited a few weeks ago when my son's filter motor went out - it gave me a great excuse to bump him up to a 10 gallon - immediately regretting not going for the 20 gallon :).

I've since stocked with the items that follow knowing I'm going to be over-stocked eventually. However, I've really come to enjoy this, so I am looking at a 65 gallon tank for the living room to add in a few months. So, by the time these fish outgrow their tank, they will have a new home to go to. The cool thing is, that at least for a while, this will allow me to let my son have new fish in his tank more often as we move them from his tank to the larger tank in the living room.

So, here is the current stock. By the way, the molly's are very young and <1". The swords are still young, but a bit more than 1". I don't know how old the Harelquin is, it is the last survivor of gramma's gift. This will seem like much more than it is, but remember all are still quite small.

3 Red Wag Swords
5 Dalmatian Molly
1 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Otocinclus
1 Peppered Cori
2 African Dwarf Frogs

Currently adding a bit of salt each day for the mollys and swords. Advice received so far says about 1 tspn per gallon is adequate, but I don't want to overdo it for the ADF. Let me know if you have an opinion about that. By the way, does that qualify as brakish water?

Looking forward to conversations.

Back
Top Bottom