New to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddot82

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! Last memorial day weekend I walked into petsmart to get some cat food. I saw fish tanks on sale and after checking them out I bought a 20 gallon and was so excited to go home and set it up I forgot the cat food. That was the start of it all. I had no clue what I was doing, dumped some safe start in there and got some fish. A few days later they were acting weird so I went online and learned about the nitrogen cycle and the dangers of overstocking. I also bought and read a couple books.Thats when the daily 50-80 percent water changes began. After realizing my tank wasnt big enough I bought a 55 gallon off craigslist and another 1.5 gal medical tank. I spent about a week fixing the 55 up, then started a fishless cycle and put some amazon swords and grass in there. After what seemed like forever and thousands of gallons worth of water changes my 20 finally cycled and all fish had survived. 8 days after my 20 finished cycling my 55 did so i moved my fish into it. That was last Wednesday. Thursday I came home from work and went straight to the tank to check out my fish and noticed the cross member on top had broken and the tank was bowing out a half inch. I immediately dropped the water level and got the pressure off it. After the initial frustration of staring at all that work and money sitting there broken infront of me I realized I had an excuse to buy a bigger tank. So tomorrow morning I'm going to pick up my new 90 gallon! Its the biggest tank I can fit in the spot I want the tank without recessing one in the wall(which I'm fighting the urge to do). So here I am about a month and a half later with 3 fish tanks and another coming tomorrow. I'm gonna make it a planted freshwater community with sand substrate and driftwood. It'll have a fluval 405 cannister, a marineland magnum pro 350 cannister with bio wheel, and 2 heaters. I've learned a lot the hard way and joined this forum to try and stop that trend. I currently have 4 angelfish a blue spotted gourami, a dwarf gourami, and a pleco. Any suggestions on equipment or other fish to add would be greatly appreciated. I'm here to learn so if theres anything I can do better or differently please let me know. Thanks!

Here's my 55 before it broke. I left that hob filter on causr the cannister filter was new. I put some of the old media in it but wanted to leave the cycled filter on a couple extra weeks to be safe.

ForumRunner_20130712_205640.jpg

Back
Top Bottom