75 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyTuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all

I currently have a 12 gallon Nano, but I have the opportunity to get a 75 gal. tank for free.

I need to know what else I will be needing to get this bigger tank up and running.
I am aware of LR and LS and that sort of thing. And of course a stand but I need to have an idea of sumps and protein skimmers, etc.
Can anyone give me a list of what I would need and/or suggestions of what would be good to have.

Thanks for your help. I am planning on having Fish with LR in the tank.
Possibly a clam and/or an anemone.

Thanks again, (and I am also open to suggestions for clams/anemones etc.)

Is the tank drilled? If so you can have an under-the-tank sump/fuge. If not, you'll need to look into some sort of DIY for an in-tank overflow to sump/fuge - or simply a HOB fuge.

If its going to be a FOWLR and maybe a clam and anemone (which is similar to the 150g we have) -- they only have 3 biowheels, a small skimmer, tons of live rock, and they will occassionally run a micron filter on the water (one of those Magnum 350's).

On the 75g I had, it wasn't drilled so I had a biowheel (with carbon and micron filter in the back of it), a HOB fuge with a pretty crappy skimmer built in and UV sterilization. Lighting at the time was all I was really short on. My water was always *crazy* clear.

Good luck to you.

You might want to skip the clam and or anemone. My reason for this is that they are an all or anything type of creature. You either have all that is required to light and supplement a reef or nothing will grow as far as those two are concerned. I would probably go with some fish, live rock, a couple brittle stars, a serpant star, maybe some big turbo snails and large hermit crabs. If youre daring, a couple long spine urchins too. Get a skimmer, and a darn good one if you plan a lot of life into the tank. Your rock and skimmer are going to support it.

Back
Top Bottom