Best aquarium filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethingclever

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30 gallon tank at the moment and use a tetra whisper filter. I was wondering what all of you would say the "best" filters are?

:dance::dance::thanks::dance::dance:

I'd say Marineland Eclipse hood filters are excellent for my bottomless tanks.

Hands down the Aqua Clear 50 is the best filter you can select for your 30g tank IMO/E. Having two filters is always a good option/idea (AKA you can never have enough filtration), so add the AC50 and keep the tetra in operation is my best recommendation.

I'm with Mr. Limpet I have 3 tanks all Aqua Clear. I just order a 110 for my 46. My 36 will have a 70 & 50 from my 20 GL , my 20 will get the other 70.

All I use are aquaclears and fluvals. The aquaclears have been around over 20 years, I was using them back when I was a teenager, and never had any trouble then or now.

They allow full customization of your filter media, no prepackaged cartrdiges. :)

Best Aquarium Filters

Good morning Some...

Will have to "piggyback" those partial to Aqua Clear power filters. Have use them for years from 20s to 70s and never had a problem. Easy to clean and reassemble.

One caution, if you have small fish and even smaller fry, you'll need to get a small cover for the extension tube that runs vertically from the filter case. Unless you don't mind retrieving fry from the case every time you do a water change. Sometimes the little guys get sucked up into the filter. Doesn't seem to bother them though.

B

I prefer canisters over HOB's, but HOB's do fine on smaller tanks. There isn't a 'best filter' out there. Everyone has their opinions. I'll have to say, aqua clears are my favorite HOB that I've used, so I'll join in on the recommendation.

for all my smaller tanks, I basically stick to x3 rule of thumb, 20 gallon tank gets 60 gallon filter + undergravel filter. 29 gallon tank gets 90 gallon filter + undergravel filter. I have only been in the fish hobby for a little over a year, so I havent had any problems with any of the filters I have gotten yet, but I have learned I dont like any of the on the back filters that have the little paddle wheels that turn with the waterflow, I prefer the ones that have the scrubber insert that you just rinse out occasionally. Additionally, I run an air pump into the power heads (I only use the Marineland 1140 powerhead -300 gph) for extra oxygenation. I change all insert filters on my smaller tanks on the first of each month.

my 220 I have 4 -100 gallon otb filters but I am getting ready to order a large canister filter, which will be my first canister filter. This winter I'm building a 880 Gallon Tank to the floor in my basement.

+1 to Carey and Rookie on canister filters.

You do have goldies in this tank I believe and that's an option to consider if your budget allows for it. As Carey said Fluval is a good choice that has a model 205 that would work (305 more so) and would be something I'd recommend. As I said, it is a much higher price point, but it would certainly do the job. I have the 305 on a 29g GSP tank and I love it for how well it cleans, media setup, and ease of use (AKA it's easier to clean/service than my HOB's lol).

Back
Top Bottom