Calcium reactors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndiH011

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I am starting to spend a bit of money stocking up with coral now. Has any body got any good info on Calcium reactors for a 55.

I have 5 frags in at the mo and have seen some growth but the pulsing and Pom Pom Xenia that should be by all accounts spreading like wild fire I haven't seen much growth. On the other hand my goniopora has grown loads although the amazing bright yellow it started off as has faded.

I'm sure this thread will lead to great discussions on lighting.

I run a aqua reef 200 with built in lighting and sump

Lighting in the DT is two x daylight fluros and a t5 blue with a day light over the sump. The aqua reef boasts a complete set up for the reef aquarium.

As ever guys I appreciate your thoughts and advice

Andi.

What is your calcium testing at?? And how long have you had your frags..... "growing like wildfire" is a relative term in the coral world.
If all you have are those 5 frags, you are far from needing a Calc reactor... regular pwc's will supply what's needed.

Phranque said:
What is your calcium testing at?? And how long have you had your frags..... "growing like wildfire" is a relative term in the coral world.
If all you have are those 5 frags, you are far from needing a Calc reactor... regular pwc's will supply what's needed.

+1 the calcium reactor really isn't needed until you can see your calcium being depleted rapidly through testing very often which you would.need to do to setup a reactors drip. And for your xenia not spreading quickly that could be due to many factors some of which can't be explained. Some people have great luck with them others can't grow it at all for no reason. Imo id start to consider a reactor when your looking at 20+ hard coral frags in your tank which is still on the low end which your water changes could handle

I'll start by saying you won't need a reactor yet, for one xenia is a soft coral it doesn't use cal or alk. Your waterchanges with high quality salt will provide the necessary nutrients until you have a good bit if lps or sps, your gona is a lps but I will warn you they are very hard to keep more than 6 months they require very stable parameters. As far as a good cal reactor, you need to get an idea of how much coral your gamma have and how much your willing to spend, a double chamber reactor with bubble counter and place for a ph controller will save you alot of headaches. Bulk reef supply has some good calcium reactors and you can order your co2 tank, regulator, and solenoid all from the same place instead of paying shipping at two different places.

Bluzeeboy said:
I'll start by saying you won't need a reactor yet, for one xenia is a soft coral it doesn't use cal or alk. Your waterchanges with high quality salt will provide the necessary nutrients until you have a good bit if lps or sps, your gona is a lps but I will warn you they are very hard to keep more than 6 months they require very stable parameters. As far as a good cal reactor, you need to get an idea of how much coral your gamma have and how much your willing to spend, a double chamber reactor with bubble counter and place for a ph controller will save you alot of headaches. Bulk reef supply has some good calcium reactors and you can order your co2 tank, regulator, and solenoid all from the same place instead of paying shipping at two different places.

I added a korallin calcium reactor 4 months ago i love it it keeps alk and cal on point at all times did take 2-3 weeks to get it tuned in tho i do have more sps than you tho but it beats 2part alk n cal supplements i will add i have way better coral growth without the fluctuation

Thanks guys some good info there my params are ok at the mo with a weekly pwc.

I'll look into it more as I add more

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom