filter for 125 tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PontiacFan87

Aquarium Advice Regular
So im in the process of gathering all the things I need for my 125 gallon FOWLR build. Originally I was going to do a 25 gallon sump with a wet/dry trickle filter setup. Having second thoughts about the sump now since im not planning on using a simmer, so do I really need to have a sump? I was thinking about running 2 of the marineland emperor 400 hang on back filters. Will those 2 hang on back filters be enough? Is there more advantages to a sump then the more room?

I'd definitely stick to a sump whether its a wet dry or a refugium style sump. It just gives you more options and its definitely more beneficial in many ways. The obvious which you already know is the water volume it adds. Another thing is that you are able to hide things such as heaters, thermometers, reactors, etc.. It can also provide additional aeration and keep things such as your salinity more stable (by adding a ATO) In my opinion its just a lot easier maintenance wise as well.

Not sure why you are bypassing the skimmer but I would strongly reccomend using one.

Filter for 125 G

So im in the process of gathering all the things I need for my 125 gallon FOWLR build. Originally I was going to do a 25 gallon sump with a wet/dry trickle filter setup. Having second thoughts about the sump now since im not planning on using a simmer, so do I really need to have a sump? I was thinking about running 2 of the marineland emperor 400 hang on back filters. Will those 2 hang on back filters be enough? Is there more advantages to a sump then the more room?

Hello Pontiac...

You can't really do better than AquaClear (HOB) filters. A couple of AC 70s placed at opposite ends of the tank would work well. I have ACs on all my large tanks. Two AC 70s would be about $100.00, but these are real "work horses" and are easy to service. You get a good warranty, 2 years and they last just about forever. I've had several AC 50s running for close to 6 years with no problems.

Just a thought.

B

Back
Top Bottom