Gathering all needed equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macrosill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay I decided to start another tank. The last SW setup I did was about 5 years ago. I now have only a 10 gal FW tank going for the kids. I want a nice one for me! I am going to get a drilled 55 gal and use the 55 I have now as a sump. This will make a total volume of 110 gal. I have a RO/DI unit, 125/day 6 stage. I have 600 lbs or aragonite sand to use. I will not use all of it but that is the total I have on hand. I plan on 75 lbs of LR to start. I have the protein skimmer and plan on purchasing heaters, lts and a pump. I plan on using 2 24" twin flouresent strips for lighting. How many watts of heat will I need. I am not sure if 1 300 watt heater will be enough for 110 gals of water. The setup will be in my basement. It can get cold in the winter down there. Now the pump. Do I need to turn over the tank 5-10 times per hour or the whole 110 gal volume? I was looking at the mag 9.5 with a head of 3'(850gph). The drilled 55 comes with a overflow rated at 600 gph. Is this going to be enough flow? Thanks for the gread advice.

Sound’s like you’re on the right track with most of the supplies.

The 24” fluorescents sound kind of small for a 55 gal. I assume you mean side by side to cover the 48” tank. I’d go with 48” PC lighting personally so you could do some moderate light corals in the future.

For heaters a couple of WON Pro-Heat IC Titanium Heater 250 W should be sufficient even in the cold basement. (two incase one fails and the general rule is 10 watts per gal)

The pump your looking at should be fine, you can scale it back with a ball valve if needed. Is it one drain and how large is the hole(s)?

Also checkout http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ for your overflow to keep the noise down.

I did mean 2 24" liights side by side due to the support bar in the middle of the top. However after checking out your suggestion I just might have to go that route. Looks real nice!

The heaters look good as well, thanks.

The tank I am looking at is an All-Glass predrilled with a Megaflow. It is 1 drain and is a 1" drain with a 3/4" return. I called the lfs and they offer drilling at 25.00 per hole. They do not guarantee the glass while drilling but "we haven't broken a tank yet". Do you think the one Megaflow would be sufficient?

Maybe I should buy a new 55 and have it drilled for 2 1 1/2" bulkheads and buy two durso setups. I would hate to take a chance of buying a new tank and having it break during the drilling. What to do????

One 1" Megaflow is rated at 600 gph and along with an additional ph or two you should be fine. Considering your using a 55 gal tank as a sump I would personally want more flow into the sump and tank so I wouldn’t have to deal with any ph. If I remember correctly two 1 1\2” holes would give you around 1600 gph which would be more than enough to T off on the return to 4 jets to give you some really nice water currents. Even just adding another Megaflow\drilled hole of 1” should be more than enough.

Also if you haven’t thought about it yet I’d make half that sump a refugium.

Well I do not want any equipment in the display tank. So I am still up in the air as to which way to go. Buy the predrilled tank and take the chance and add another 1" overflow or buy a standard tank and have it drilled for 2 larger 1 1/2" overflows? Any pro's or con's about either way???

What about sticking with the 1 overflow and adding a closed loop for extra current in the tank? Would the 1" overflow be enough flow for the sump?

I would not think of not putting a refugium in the sump. I want to set it up once and only once.

I appreciate your help and advice.

As long as the standard tank can be drilled I'd go that route considering the size of sump you are using. The 1” drain would work but you will kick yourself later if you want more draining and having to deal with an overflow. Especially since you want to keep as much equipment out of the main as possible.

Today I have another question. I am getting the all-glass predrilled 55 gal with a Megaflow. I am going to have a 55 gal sump with an intake/skimmer, return and fuge in it. The return pump will pump back to the tank and into the fuge. Do you think the Mag 9.5 will be enough for that? I plan on a closed loop for more current in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom