I have some questions regarding my new 65-gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a 20-gallon tank for a few months now and was planning on getting a bigger one in the future, but PetSmart had a fantastic sale that I couldn’t pass up. So now I have a 65-gallon tank. I had some questions regarding some of the equipment I should get for this bigger tank.
I was looking at the Aqua Clear Power Filter – 110 V on Amazon. I have been told by a few people that for this sized tank I should have 2 filters though. Is this one filter good or should I get two or what?
I read online that for my sized tank the heat should be around 200-300 watts. The Eheim Jager aquarium thermostat heater has good reviews and comes in 300 watts. Would this be a good enough heater for the tank?
Also, for reference I currently have 5 tiger barbs, a rainbow shark and a pleco. I was planning on putting them in the bigger tank once I have it set up and let it cycle. (If anyone has any recommendations for other fish that would make good tankmates it would be appreciated)
I have included a picture of my old tank next to the new one as well.
If anyone has any advice or recommendations, I would be very thankful.

Attachments

• 20180526_180320.jpg
    20180526_180320.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 65
Two hob filters is a good idea. In terms of the one you selected, it is a choice that each of us make. I choose aquaclear hob’s.

I think it depends on room temperature and how much you have to move the tank volume in terms of temperature. The size you listed is good. The only thing to keep in mind is heaters do fail at some point. A big one will cook the tank faster

I would get some extra media or a sponge going in the tank you have set up That will help you cycle the big one faster

I love barbs. In a big tank tiger barbs are fun. Just ensure you have several to keep it spread out among the group. Tigers, Odessa, and black Ruby’s will give you lots of activity and color. An Odessa and a black ruby male in breeding colors is stunning

Thank you for the advice. I think when next payday, I will be getting two of the aquaclear filters. And I looked up the barbs you mentioned, and I think they will look great in my tank. The only issue is my only accessible pet store is PetSmart or PetCo which I doubt carry the Odessa barbs. I did notice that liveaquaria.com carries them. Has anyone had any experience with this site before?

Two filters is a good idea .
It will help with maintenance as you can clean them on different weeks.
I am big fan of Aqua Clear HOBs... I have over 30 and still love them...
I run a 110 and a 70 on my 60/80g grow outs...
I like Aqueon Pro heaters [lifetime guarantee]...:whistle:
250 watt should work fine IMO as MB mentioned watts needed depends on how high above room temp you need the tank.(y)

I have ordered from live aquaria. If you can get what you want their guarantee is pretty good

If you do the barbs I suggested you will love the color and activity level. Black Ruby will eat plants, just so you know. They also love zucchini

Back
Top Bottom