I need help choosing a canister filter and circulation pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuanyin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!
I am in need of some help in choosing a canister filter and circulation pump.
For the canister filter, I have been looking at the Penn Plax Cascade 1500 and the Fluval x6.
For the circulation pump, I have been looking at the Current USA 1050ghp EFLUX, the Sicce Voyager 3 Power Stream and Jebao CP-90 Cross Flow.

Let me tell you a bit about my new tank.
It is a 150 gallon rimless design. I'm using it as a room divider, so both sides are focal points and I'm trying to minimize cords, tubing, etc. It will be heavily planted down the center of the tank and will have driftwood and some rocks down the center too. I'm wanting good circulation throughout the tank with no dead spots. At the same time, I also don't want current so strong that it becomes a whirlpool.
I'm also concerned about having too much current as it will house red cherry shrimp and some small fish species like chili rasbora and clown killifish.

My thoughts on canister filters so far.
Input and output will be at opposite ends of the tank. No way getting around having tubing visible but the Fluval's tubing is a total eyesore. (black corrugated stiff tubing)
The Fluval also has to be filled with water before replacing it into the cabinet. I will also have several pounds of BioHome ceramic media inside. The weight of that and 2+ lbs of water is very heavy. (seems challenging to maneuver it back into the cabinet)

My thoughts on circulation pumps so far.
Ive looked at several designs. Some go short side to short side down the tank, (which I think would be good for the plants down the center of the tank and would kick out detritis for around rocks and driftwood) and some go the length of the tank. The Current USA is cordless, which I love.
I also want a quiet pump. These three seem to have great reviews and are very quiet.
I am open to all sugestions and would really appreciate and advice you can give. Thanks so much.

I mostly stock bigger fish like cichlids, but I've found that all filters after tubing and media probably pump about 60% of the manufacturers claim. I would be worried that the penn plax doesn't do enough on a 150g. The recommended filtration is 5x your tank/ hour. I've found for mine that they stay cleaner going upwards of 10 times/ hour. Just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom