Second hand tank testing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long and in what way should I test a second hand tank I'm hopefully getting? I can let it stand outside full of water, how long and should I wait until the outside temp is more stable to test?

Depends on how secure you want to be about it. If you can let it wait one week then I think that is a very strong test. I would do a minimum of 24 hours though.

I generally recommend 48 hours, and in my testing haven't ever really been concerned about the weather. You're really just looking for leaks and as long as it's not extremely cold outside I don't think it makes enough of a difference to matter.

Thanks guys. My concerns with outside temp were that the temp is set to go between 45-60 in the days and down to the 30s at night. I figured this might actually cause problems in itself.

I wouldn't test outside until there's no chance of a freeze. You might have to wait a couple weeks. Tonight, tomorrow night, and Tuesday night have a possible freeze in the forecast.

if you put an airstone in the tank outside it wont freeze.
Right now Id test it in a garage rather then outside. the past two days here would have worked great, even today but the overnight lows starting tonight are gonna be in the 30's for about a week.

Ive got mine on 2x4's in the garage holding water now. its been in there for 3 weeks full of water now. Im just up the way from you, Im near schaumburg.

I bought a new tank instead. Still going to test it but probably not for as long, maybe 48-72 hours. :)

Back
Top Bottom