Is this tank done for with this chip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zeroman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I can provide more angles if needed, but I noticed the chip on the 40 gallon breeder I just got after I took it out of my car. I immediately started to freak out and wonder if this tank could even be used anymore but as of the moment it is currently filled and outside. Is there any way of saving it? Or is it just better off being used for reptiles or just completely done for?

Attachments

• PXL_20230826_214844027.jpg
    PXL_20230826_214844027.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 24
Is it a new or used aquarium? If its new, return it.

If its used and holds water, the chip is superficial. You might want to run another length of silicone down the inside to give you a little surety on water tightness. Its always going to be a risk though, depends on how risk averse you are.

Hi Zeroman and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post a few more pictures of the tank including one showing the entire tank so we can see how big the chip is compared to the tank and where it is located?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
How high up is the chip (above the base)?
How thick is the glass?
How deep is the chip (dimensions)?

You could replace that pane of glass

Hi! Thank y'all for responding, as for how I got the aquarium it was at sale at a thrift store and I decided to pick it up since it was at a decent price. I've got more angles and I'm curious if the mark circled in red is a run on or something different. I've thought about maybe applying this thing called J-B Weld to it since it is epoxy, but I have no clue if it'll work.

As for the dimensions the chip is around 5 in/12 cm above the base.
The tank itself is 36in/100cm Long, 18in/45cm Wide, and 16in/40cm Tall. As for the chip I couldn't get exact measurements on it but I know it's past 2/3s of the width of the glass.

Once again thank you everyone for responding!

Attachments

• PXL_20230827_133532613~2.jpg
    PXL_20230827_133532613~2.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20230827_133502175.jpg
    PXL_20230827_133502175.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20230827_133800785.jpg
    PXL_20230827_133800785.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 21
The chip appears to be deep enough that it COULD pose a problem. If you wish to experiment, you would need to cover the chip in silicone, not epoxy and set it up on a level surface outside before filling it and letting it sit. The silicone inside the tank at the point of the chip looks to be okay so that is in your favor of success. (y)

Can you press your finger and thumb against the silicon inside the tank for me? Do it around all the inside seems. Good silicon should be firm but slightly squishy. If it's hard or brittle and doesn't compress at all, then it's getting old or is cheap silicon.

I have some concerns about the bubbles in the silicon where it meets the glass. The 2nd (middle) picture shows lots of little bubbles in the silicon on the inside half of the glass. This can be the silicon starting to fail or the glass might have been dirty when the tank was made.

I would like to see all the seems (front and back) of the tank to check for bubbles. I won't be able to see the bottom seems due to the plastic surround but the sides will give me a good idea of what's going on.

The chip in the glass and bubbles in the silicon would lead me to replace the glass pane. You don't have to but I wouldn't have it set up on carpet or wooden floors if you don't. :)

The chip itself would probably be ok if the silicon didn't have bubbles, but the combination could be an issue.

I have used JB Weld Marine and it held up well in my pond hard liner no leaking and in a crack for 2 years nor in a plastic bathtub, but neither have a great amount of weight pushing against it. Some thrift stores have a short return policy, if you could take it back, I sure would.

Back
Top Bottom