TMC Protein skimmer 600

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, this is my first post but I've been looking around a long time. I'm having problems with my skimmer. It doesn't seem to be producing the amount of bubbles I think it should be compared to a new one. I've run vinegar through it twice with some effect. It's a venturi effect skimmer and I've run vinegar through that as well. I have wondered about getting a needle wheel pump, like the Eheim Compact+ Marine 1103 Pump. which is a needle wheel. Does this mean it draws in air through an air line directly into the pump? I'm just confused on how it works. anyone own one and have experience of this. It is better to buy a whole new one? any recommendations? My tank is 220L with another 30L sump, just LR and LS to go in soon. Can you help please with any information or pictures of your skimmer working.

Thanks, Jonty

I'm not familiar with your model, but I just upgraded from a venturi skimmer to a needle wheel skimmer. What I perceive to be the difference is that the impeller on a needlewheel uses extensions from the impeller to "chop up" the air as it's drawn in. It might pull in a little more air as well because of the design. In theory the needle wheel produces more fine bubbles. The skimmer body is pretty simialr between the two. In both of my skimmers, the air came in through an airline. The needle wheel pulls the air in before the impeller, and the venturi pulls the air in after the impeller. In either case, the air is in the water prior to going into the skimmer body.

By the way, mine is a HOB Coralife Super Skimmer 65 and my old skimmer was an in-sump from Sealife Systems. I don't think Sealife Systems makes the design any longer.

Many thanks for the information, so helpful. Do see my other thread to see if you can help with that!

What your saying is that if I get a needle wheel pump for my TMC skimmer, it should be much better? Compared to buying a whole new one?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom