5 Gallon for my Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AuntKathy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just set up this tank early this month (Aug 2019) and added the first fish on Monday Aug 26. I’ve been moving the decorations & plants around and still don’t have it quite right , but the Betta seems to enjoy himself. There are a few pond snails hiding in there. I thought that they would keep the glass clear of algae. I am looking at buying an additional snail to help out. The java sword has some offshoots that need to be separated, but I am still researching online to determine when I should cut them loose. Also, I am looking into getting a ghost shrimp, but I need to make sure that it won’t interfere with my fish. It has been fun for me getting back into the aquarium hobby since I have not had one since the 1970’s.

Attachments

• 738E1C76-C49B-4F1E-876C-FB3C176EB264.jpg
    738E1C76-C49B-4F1E-876C-FB3C176EB264.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 94
Giving these fish some room to live a life is awesome!

Check out some stem plants or a Betta Log (check inside to make sure there aren't any sharp parts) Or Betta leaf.

Also as an FYI, the big box stores will price match same item, their own online prices and some other retail online competitors. I saved 4.99 on a 14.99 purchase the other day.

You can just let the stem plants float/loop around the top and the Betta will rest in them.

Your fish is lucky to have you caring for him!

So you can get what you need right away, save on whatever they have.

Thanks for the advice! I have some java sword in the tank, but the ghost shrimp have been roosting in there. I have’t figured out where my Betta is sleeping at night. He rules the tank and he is so active that I think he gets enough beauty sleep somewhere. I just picked up another tank it was a curb alert (free) in my neighborhood so I had to rescue it
. It looks like one of the top fin kits. I have to make sure that it doesn’t leak and if so I will set it up with some plants. Can you recommend a vacation food for Bettas? I have to leave him alone for a week? Thanks again for your advice!

s for vacation food, for a week, I would feed him as you leave, and he'll be a little hungry when you get back.

Otherwise those chalk things can barely bass for food and the gel pods, I just am not sure about. Bought it but have never used it. :/

If you rather leave him with something it would be a marble / raspberry sized piece of the gel type. He likely won't eat it cause he doesn't know what it is.

If he is fairly healthy, a week without food is not an issue in survival terms.

More concerned for mucking up a tank which is the killer with traveling (not in your case but when pet sitters and family feed for you and you are gone for a week).

Plan that there might need to be a water change with a vacation feeder when you get back, as in allot a smidge of time for that if needed upon your return.

Back
Top Bottom