Planted 125G Mbuna Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BrianNY said:
8O Just came in and saw this for the first time. This tank is a true labor of love. Get ready, I may start pestering you about achieving something similar in my 125g discus tank. :wink:

No problem Brian, happy to help if I can. Are you running your discus tank at high temps (>80F)?

Did you enter this into a competition or exibition? If possible photographically, it would be great to see the "moonlit" tank.

I have never entered any competition before. I'm always changing something around and it rarely ever looks 'done'. I'm hoping that maybe someday I will stop messing around with it and just decide to finish it :p

I've tried taking moonlight pics, but my current camera just has terrible low-light performance and nothing is visible.

Wow, thanks for the compliment :) Maybe I will enter the AGA competition this year and see what the judges have to say about my keeping aggressive mbuna with plants :wink:

Beautiful tank, absolutely love it, one of the best I have EVER seen. One questions though, how do you vacuum the gravel with the carpet grass stuff all over it?

Thanks! Once you get a good carpet going you don't need to vac the gravel. The plants will literally take care of that for you. I also keep Malaysian Trumpet Snails which usually hide under the substrate during the day but come out at night to chow down and detritus that might collect. I haven't used a vac on my tank in six months, and the carpet is always completely clean :D

The only sad thing is that your fish are probably too stupid to appreciate the eden they live in.

You're a credit to the hobby sir! hehe.

EDIT: Not like you need it, but kudos to you!

Travis, to get a shot of your tank w/moonlight, try setting the camera on a table or something and then letting the lens stay open for about 5-6 seconds. I got some pretty good moonlight shots by doing that with my Canon S1 (and it's not the greatest with low light).

Still love that tank - I'd love to experiment with riccia or some other ground cover, but I don't have the wpg.

I wonder if I could just blow up that snapshot of yours and put it behind a tank w/plain water? :D

Wow i wish i could get a tank that size and with that many plants!!!!! Thats the best looking tank i have ever seen!!!

Wow :oops: Thanks guys. There's a lot to be said for the information you can get from these forums. I learned just about everything I know from a bunch of great people online :)

travis simonson said:
tank_171204_x800.jpg

Hope you like it! :D

OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT IS FREAKEN AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!

who cares about the fish.....
the Plants and Aquascaping is absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your tank looks so good & your camra takes aswome pictures! Makes me want to plant my tank.

wow travis! no wonder you just made advisor. my keyboard is in danger of being destyroyed by drool. btw, just order some glosso--my new project...may be asking you some questions...:)

Back
Top Bottom