From beginning to End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont even think there is a petland near me lol.. i've never even heard of petland let alone seen one. But i guess i'll just check online or w/e

EDIT*

LOL, as i suspected, theres not a single petland in new jersey. Closest place is Syracuse, NYC. Not gona go that far lolol.

So guys.. i know its quiting and all... but im 98% sure that im not going to move forward with my tank anymore. The large amount of money i spent on this dead rock.. was quite ridiculous. Not to mention my 10ppm of ammonia made sure that everything was dead even after i recieved the rock completely worthless.. Just my luck with that one. I already did 2 water changes.. my ammonia went down to around 4-5ppm.. So i tested it again just five minutes ago and it went all the way back up to 9ppm. I dont know how in the world this happened, but it did. So once again, any forms of life that MAY have survived on the rock got nuked again. My tank is dirty, no matter how many times i clean it.. as is the sand. I cleaned it a total of 8 times today.. and somehow.. stuff just rose from the sand of the dead and trashed itself. This really is just too much for me to handle and keep up with. One of my rocks fell also.. the one that i made sure was sturdy, and it was a big piece too. I found it a hairline away from my front glass panel. Now, my protein skimmer is doing wierd things, and even though i set the air-hose up on it.. it sucks in water and floods everything. I really think the universe does not want me to have a SW tank. I tried EVERYTHING to get the skimmer to stop flooding, and the thing i did last time to make it stop.. doesnt work now. Which again, was to put the air-hose it came with, on it. And to boot.. i dont even like my tank. It gives me no room for what i want to do. And sure enough, it seems like it doesnt like me either. Oh yah forgot to mention.. water from the skimmer spilled over and not only short circuited my power strip(luckily i have a gfci.. not that the water got that far anyways, but still) but the water got behind the ENTIRE background that was taped on the tank, and now theres water bubbles and junk all in the background.. I cant move the tank to fix it obviously because it weighs as much as a freakin smart car filled up with sand and LR.. So ya. Im not going any further.. I cant take it. And another thing.. i dont have a sump.. so ALL of my adnormaly LARGE equipment has to be in the tank, and in the way of everything. Which ALSO doesnt allow me to move the rocks around like i want to. Sadly, i wasted lots of money on this stuff.. now that im not continuing. One thing i can say that im happy with though... is the Nova Extreme Pro that i bought last night.. since i WILL definitely be continuing everything once i get my 72G bowfront, and i will be able to use it for that tank. So for now.. i've called it quits. I emptied the tank and im letting the rocks dry up, and then im going to remove them and store them somewhere to use next time as base rock. But im going to smother those freakin rocks in something.. because for some reason i think its these darned rocks that caused my ammonia to go haywire in the first place, and what also brought the ammonia back up to 9ppm AFTER i brought it down to 4ppm.

Since its the rocks that pretty much screwed up my beginning experiance of a new SW tank, i just want to say Thanks to liveaquaria. Thanks Liveaquaria for selling me **** rocks and killing any hopes i ever had of having a nice tank to start off with. THANKS. Never buying jack squat from them ever again. Not even if **** froze over.

Sorry guys. :(

I paid 11 bucks a piece for my T5HO's at doctors on sale (i ordered 8, 4 of each type) and the LFS wants almost 30 bucks a piece. Like FM said it's just a freaken light bulb.

Im glad you found them that cheap.. lol.. but what do light bulbs have anything to do with what i just said? You like liveaquaria or something? Well great. Im glad you do lol. I dnt. They suck when it comes to liverock and i hope they die for selling such sloppy garbage. rofl.

It is sad to hear that, I really wish that you wouldn't give up but o well. When do you plan to get your 72g bowfront?

Gonna be a while from now. Not until im in florida and i have my own place and im settled in.

Zer0, Im really sorry to hear that. I enjoyed following your build thread and seeing your progress. It's disappointing to hear that you are giving up but I can understand that you have spent a lot of money and it is frustrating to see your tank go downhill rather than progress well. I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you will pick back up soon!

That's a bummer. Don't give up after one bad experience. Just take this as a lesson. Now you have a ton of base rock. Let it cycle and get rid of the ammonia. Try itr one more time, if you have another bad experience, then give up, but not after a bad experience your first try. :(

That's a bummer. Don't give up after one bad experience. Just take this as a lesson. Now you have a ton of base rock. Let it cycle and get rid of the ammonia. Try itr one more time, if you have another bad experience, then give up, but not after a bad experience your first try. :(

Ditto:bandit:

How Long have to been cycling the LR for? You know it could take from 1 to 2 weeks to 2-6 months with most LR to Cycle completely no one said this hobby is fast everything come's over time that's why there needs to be a lot of Patience I think it took me a month before I saw any progress with my tank when I first started. I think your trying to push things way to fast. Just let the LR sit you don't need to clean it everyday Ammonia is not going to go away over night. it take weeks some times months. In any instance it sad to see you leave but I think you should reconsider and start out with the 55g instead so you know how to get your water parameters stable in that one first before continuing to a 72G BF... JMO

Im glad you found them that cheap.. lol.. but what do light bulbs have anything to do with what i just said? You like liveaquaria or something? Well great. Im glad you do lol. I dnt. They suck when it comes to liverock and i hope they die for selling such sloppy garbage. rofl.
Sorry man, I was responding to another post on a previous page and forgot to click the little box next to [Quote message in reply?], I didn't mean any disrespect. 1st of all I have never dealt with liveaquaria but plan too in the future because they are affiliated with Drs. You have to remember things happen and as adults we realize it and work are way thru it, not just get up and quit like a baby. Maybe it's better off for the you quit, you don't seem to have the patience needed for this hobby anyway. 2nd It's your fault not theirs, the rock and tank has to go thru the curing/cycling process which can take a while, if you weren't in so much of a rush and just let the tank & rock do it's thing instead of tearing it apart you would've been halfway there. When mine was cycling My readings were of the chart colors but did settle down in a few weeks.
Not for anything but you should freakin grow up and fix the problem instead of blaming everyone and everything for your self induced problem.

I hope you get over yourself really soon!!!!!!!

So guys.. i know its quiting and all... but im 98% sure that im not going to move forward with my tank anymore. The large amount of money i spent on this dead rock.. was quite ridiculous. Not to mention my 10ppm of ammonia made sure that everything was dead even after i recieved the rock completely worthless.. Just my luck with that one. I already did 2 water changes.. my ammonia went down to around 4-5ppm.. So i tested it again just five minutes ago and it went all the way back up to 9ppm. I dont know how in the world this happened, but it did. So once again, any forms of life that MAY have survived on the rock got nuked again. My tank is dirty, no matter how many times i clean it.. as is the sand. I cleaned it a total of 8 times today.. and somehow.. stuff just rose from the sand of the dead and trashed itself. This really is just too much for me to handle and keep up with. One of my rocks fell also.. the one that i made sure was sturdy, and it was a big piece too. I found it a hairline away from my front glass panel. Now, my protein skimmer is doing wierd things, and even though i set the air-hose up on it.. it sucks in water and floods everything. I really think the universe does not want me to have a SW tank. I tried EVERYTHING to get the skimmer to stop flooding, and the thing i did last time to make it stop.. doesnt work now. Which again, was to put the air-hose it came with, on it. And to boot.. i dont even like my tank. It gives me no room for what i want to do. And sure enough, it seems like it doesnt like me either. Oh yah forgot to mention.. water from the skimmer spilled over and not only short circuited my power strip(luckily i have a gfci.. not that the water got that far anyways, but still) but the water got behind the ENTIRE background that was taped on the tank, and now theres water bubbles and junk all in the background.. I cant move the tank to fix it obviously because it weighs as much as a freakin smart car filled up with sand and LR.. So ya. Im not going any further.. I cant take it. And another thing.. i dont have a sump.. so ALL of my adnormaly LARGE equipment has to be in the tank, and in the way of everything. Which ALSO doesnt allow me to move the rocks around like i want to. Sadly, i wasted lots of money on this stuff.. now that im not continuing. One thing i can say that im happy with though... is the Nova Extreme Pro that i bought last night.. since i WILL definitely be continuing everything once i get my 72G bowfront, and i will be able to use it for that tank. So for now.. i've called it quits. I emptied the tank and im letting the rocks dry up, and then im going to remove them and store them somewhere to use next time as base rock. But im going to smother those freakin rocks in something.. because for some reason i think its these darned rocks that caused my ammonia to go haywire in the first place, and what also brought the ammonia back up to 9ppm AFTER i brought it down to 4ppm.

Since its the rocks that pretty much screwed up my beginning experiance of a new SW tank, i just want to say Thanks to liveaquaria. Thanks Liveaquaria for selling me **** rocks and killing any hopes i ever had of having a nice tank to start off with. THANKS. Never buying jack squat from them ever again. Not even if **** froze over.

Sorry guys. :(

O_O NOOOO!!!!

You can't give up on your SW tank! I could have given up loads of times over stuff like my parents not even letting me get the tank but I kept at it. When things don't work, don't see it as failure see it as a time to learn what not to do next time.

just keep swimming

dory.jpg

good things come with time bro. dont get all radical and take everything apart. patience

Why give up? I cycled a tank once with dead base rock and once I started adding frags I saw all kinds of life in there. If all the stuff dies on the rock because the ammonia gets too high, big deal! You'll be introducing it back in there anyway with the little pieces of rock that frags/corals are mounted to. There's no reason to tear it all down. Sure, cycling can be frustrating, but dude what did you expect? Instant gratification isn't something that's going to happen in this hobby, but that doesn't mean it isn't rewarding when you take your time and stick with it.

Back
Top Bottom