From beginning to End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Idk, i think it will be pretty cool to show people how im doing this from scratch, and maybe give people starting out an idea as well. Anyways, here goes.

To start off.. heres what my small freakin room looks like with tons of stuff all over the place:

dbp1sw.jpg

2w4duli.jpg

And heres my 55G with the black background. Yeah i know the white part looks crooked.. and thats because i didnt have enough and well.. it is crooked. lulz.
e0gwon.jpg

Ill keep this updated if you guys think its a good idea. :)

Cheers.

No doubt! I have more on the way in a few minutes.. just got done cleaning the oolite.

Well heres an update as for the sand and my tank. I find that the oolite is extremely fine, almost to the point of powdery.. until ofcourse it hits the water lol.. then it soaks it up and gets heavy as ****.

Heres 50lbs of Aragonite oolite.
24pdoiu.jpg

I made sure it was even across the whole tank as well. The depth is at 2.5" and some parts are at 3"
w1y8uu.jpg

So far so good ;)

P.S. Thanks for tagging along Etunes!!

I always enjoy watching people set up their new tanks from start to finish, especially with big salt water setups. I will definitely be following you from now on and I look forward to your next set of updates and photos. Good luck man!

I can't wait to start documenting my setup xD

Keep the pics coming!

(P.S: I taggin' along too! xD)

You have never technically said even though it is kinda obvious you are doing a salt water tank. But are you? Also what other tanks do you have?

Lol thanks everyone for tagging along! Also, yeah i guess i did leave out some details xD

Well first off, thom is correct as he already knew, its going to be a reef tank. As for my other tanks. I have a 20G long, like thom said, and i just recently got a 10G as a QT tank that i will be setting up along the way with the big tank. I have other tanks lying around my basement that i might do FW and FW planted. I think i've got a couple 5G ones and a 15G high. As for updating, everyday that i get something i will update the thread, also when i get the LR i will definitely be looking for opinions on the way i set it up, so alot of pics will be coming along with us! :D

Thanks again for tagging along guys!

Well i did almost forget that i did get my refractometer today. I just have to calibrate this thing lol.
2elf2c4.jpg

Heres my dog.. i thought you all should see her lol.
xpvw5c.jpg

And my cat is cheering me and my tank on!.. upside down. lol
hvt4oz.jpg

Thanks! lol, they keep me company when im working ont he tank sometimes so i thought you all should meet them. :p

Yeah i wasnt going to slack on the equipment. I know im going to invest quite a bit of money on my stock so i'd rather not have them die. So ill do what i can to keep them alive xD I just calibrated it and its at 0 for regular water. Which is a good thing lol. Can wait to test it out on the saltwater though ;D

That sucks :/ Btw, does my QT tank need to cycle as well? Or can i throw cycled water from my main tank in there?

You can just add another HOB filter to the back of your 55 while it's cycling and when you need the QT just transfer the filter over.
x2 on this it's what I'm doing on all my tanks from now on they will all be double filtered just in case I need to start up another tank in a hurry.

Never even thought of that. thom its like good ideas just pour out of you rofl. Thanks for the suggestion and backup on the suggestion. I will be hooking up my TopFin20 to the tank as well and letting it cycle with my main tank. Awesome idea.

Thanks! lol, they keep me company when im working ont he tank sometimes so i thought you all should meet them. :p

Yeah i wasnt going to slack on the equipment. I know im going to invest quite a bit of money on my stock so i'd rather not have them die. So ill do what i can to keep them alive xD I just calibrated it and its at 0 for regular water. Which is a good thing lol. Can wait to test it out on the saltwater though ;D

Did you calibrate the refracto with RO/DI?

Also, what is your tank sitting on? It looks like a regular table to me, I'm really hoping it is an aquarium stand... a table won't cut it considering your tank will weigh close to 600 lbs. full. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom