From beginning to End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, haven't calibrated it with ro/di water yet. I know i have to, i just did it with regular water to test it out.

As for the stand, well, we've been using it for alot of tanks for many years. Its solid oak wood with reinforcements on the legs at every corner. When my tank was set up a week ago for FW, it was completely filled to the top and had at least 50lbs of sand and all that rock decor and ugly crap and the stand was doing fine. Im pretty sure that its fine but ill look into it.

No actually, im really glad that you did mention it. I did some calculations, and since a gallon of water weighs approximately 8.34lbs, then 55 gallons of water should be around 458lbs. Then add the glass and that will give you around 480lbs give or take a few pounds. Then, i added about 60lbs of LR and 45lbs of the sand i already have. Totaled together thats around 600lbs. Just like you said. ;) And come to think of it, thats alot of wieght. I know my stand can hold a few hundred pounds more than that, but it is a bit old, so maybe the wood isnt as strong as it was when my family first got it. So thats why im going to purchase a different stand made to hold alot of wieght. So thanks for mentioning that. Rather safe than sorry. ;)

Well yeah i figured that too, but still, its all the same. Its over 500lbs guaranteed so i've got to get a stand or something lol.

Go to petsmart or another chain like that and you'll be able to get your claws on a wrought iron stand for only like $50-$75. They are great stands for the money IMO.

Only thing is, i went there, and it was actually 35$. I was going to buy it, but it said only meant to hold 375lbs. ...I know for a fact my 55gallon is wayyy more than 375lbs. I dont even know why they say its for a 55 gallon tank, when it ways more than 400lbs filled with water. Let alone with sand and rock.

Only thing is, i went there, and it was actually 35$. I was going to buy it, but it said only meant to hold 375lbs. ...I know for a fact my 55gallon is wayyy more than 375lbs. I dont even know why they say its for a 55 gallon tank, when it ways more than 400lbs filled with water. Let alone with sand and rock.

Maybe its a marketing technique? Sell you something that doesn't work so it breaks and you have to go buy a new one...? :confused:

Then try a wooden stand should be $100-$150. I think I may have to agree with partypalooza lol.....

The stand I got was regularly like 250 with tax, and its not like it's super well made or anything special. Craigslist is probably a good option.. lol :D

The stand I got was regularly like 250 with tax, and its not like it's super well made or anything special. Craigslist is probably a good option.. lol :D

LOL I see stands at petsmart all the time and look at the prices, never the size. Just though I'd put up a price range guess it wasn't right.....Oh well I have my excuse, I'm not really awake.....:sleeping:

Actually your correct, but off by the chain of store lol. Petco has some nice deals on stands, but petsmart has garbage.

Not in my area lol. Petco here is a dump. Every time I go in there is a dead fish..... The tanks they sell are always dusty too, that shows how many they sell lol...

Oh, lol, that sucks. Here the petcos are nice and the petsmarts are horrible. Idk its wierd. For some reason its like people dont buy tanks from these stores or something. I always see the exact same tanks there everytime i go lol.

In my area they move tanks pretty fast at petsmart. It's the kits that they don't sell to many of.

I thought the tanks at mine moved slow, the 75G sat on the shelf since the store opened (no joke there was dust in it an inch thick lol) but when i went to finally buy it they sold out of them for like a week straight. The manager was like "I can't believe these things are flying off the shelves in this economy!"

heh.. all petsmarts and petcos have the same sign and color scheme but each store has a different story.

Thats really weird. The petcos down here are nice compared to the petsmart. There always clean and what not. But petsmart has better quility fish there. But petco has a better selection when it comes to fish and fish tanks. But petsmart always sells tanks faster. So it kinda like 1 or the other.

Im pretty sure no petsmart sells saltwater fish.. lol. Sorry to shoot you down. Pretty sure they only sell saltwater supplies. And even then their supplies are less than bone stock. Petco is the place that sells saltwater fish. But with that being said, unless i saw the fish eating and it looked and swam healthy, i would never buy saltwater stock from petco lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom