My 72 gallon BF tank journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely great pictures! Love the corals!

And yes, I should be moving something but I'm on break LOL

Following! Loving the tank so far! Also, you don't have to worry about getting the pods in the upper tank, they will get up there on their own through the pump and piping. You just can't see them in the main display since they hide from the fish during the day, the mandarin hunts at night anyways (you might have noticed how dead he looks at night).

Also, your boy is adorable! (sorry if he's a she, it's really hard to tell from such a tiny pic)

Shrimp drama!!

So, "fish" the shrimp has been mia since I added him back in the tank for over a week. So today I went and bought another. Pistol shrimp, it is huge, about the same size as the goby.

I acclimate and put the shrimp in same spot as goby. I also added a cover to the sump, so I look at the floss as I've done every day for "fish.". Guess who is stuck to the floss? Yep, "fish" the other shrimp. And he was alive. So, I added him to the same hole as the other two. Time will tell, but the goby is guarding the rock, keeping fingers crossed that the two work for the goby.

nothing new in the tank world, oh wait, except....
img_1385011_0_32c4d52987ba8cf2e5320b495a5c0237.jpg

sean112280 said:
Very nice! What kind of tang is that?

It's a Kole Tang, one of the few that would be ok in my 72 gal. All that I want now is a the blue assessor that my coral guy is going to sell me. I'm waiting a few weeks to make sure everything stays stable. I added the Tang a few days ago, it loves all the bridges/caves to swim through. Gets along with the clowns, mandarin and goby.

Well I'm ending up with an extra tang. I still want the yellow one and the caribbean blue. ;-)

Yours looks soo good, the picture is excellent. I have 0 skills with my camera. LOL

Well I'm ending up with an extra tang. I still want the yellow one and the caribbean blue. ;-)

Yours looks soo good, the picture is excellent. I have 0 skills with my camera. LOL

I hope to get better, been trying to get better with photography for about 17 years now. Minored in photography in college as well, that helped some, lol.

Trying not to freak out, Tang has some spots on her....Aaaahhhhhh.

I am going to get her some algae to hang in the am and hoping the spots go away. I wanted to buy some for her when I bought her and the LFS said no she didn't need it. I need a new LFS.

Trying not to freak out, Tang has some spots on her....Aaaahhhhhh.

I am going to get her some algae to hang in the am and hoping the spots go away. I wanted to buy some for her when I bought her and the LFS said no she didn't need it. I need a new LFS.

Awe that's too bad! All tangs are very prone to ich :( I really wish they weren't! Definitely get some algae sheets though and soaking the food you feed in garlic or vitamins will help too. Luckily the Kole tang is one of the hardier tangs and I think she will be alright, good luck!

0o.Kelsey.o0 said:
Awe that's too bad! All tangs are very prone to ich :( I really wish they weren't! Definitely get some algae sheets though and soaking the food you feed in garlic or vitamins will help too. Luckily the Kole tang is one of the hardier tangs and I think she will be alright, good luck!

No spots on her body this am but fins still look discolored. I'll do my best to keep her from getting stressed. I really think the stress was her lack of algae and probably being hungry! She gets along fine with her tank mates and everyone else is happy and healthy.

Okay, so when she finally came out from hiding with the clowns, I can see spots when the light hits her just right...other than the weird hiding incident this afternoon, she is now acting normal again. And she ate some green algae, but not from the holder, I had to chop it up.
img_1388813_0_54372eb909d332465aa8faf8740214ba.jpg

yup she's ichy haha. You could remove all the fish and treat them and leave the tank fish free for six weeks (i think it's 6), or you could just keep feeding really good nutritious foods and do a few extra water changes. Do any of the other fish have signs of it? You could also look into getting a UV light, that will keep ich levels down.

This guy who goes around maintaining millionaire/billionaire's fish tanks for a living in So-Cal says dose enough of the ich cure for the entire tank, but do it in half doses a few hours apart rather than 100% at once.

He's still in business so it must work, hehe. It's not as stressful he claims.

No one else has it, only her, but am I correct that she got it from my tank? I don't know how long LFS had her, but I'm guess for a while given how comfortable she is in the tank? They also keep fish separate from corals and other inverts, so I'm assuming they dose copper.

Nope that is definitely ich, ich has a life cycle where it basically attaches to the fish, falls off and reproduces in the sand, then swims and reattaches to the fish. The ich is often in it's swimming stage at night and fall off during the day. He could have gotten it from your tank yes, if the fish are not stressed and are happy they can build up an immune to ich and they won't show any signs of it. It is still in the system though, lurking and waiting for a weak fish haha.

Back
Top Bottom