My 72 gallon BF tank journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, today I got my controller for the AI Sol LEDs, and hooked it up, yeah.

Saw my candy cane pistol shrimp today, it was hugging the goby, really it was. So goby was extremely protective of his hole, huffing and puffing at snails, crabs, etc.

Tang had no spots this am, no spots when I got home at 3pm and covered in the small flecks again when I looked at 6 pm. Is this typical of ich to come on and off each day?

I just picked up a 36 watt one for our large tank actually, apparently we had only an 8 watt one before, not good. We will be running it here for awhile to get the ich population down and then we will be trying to add another tang. (we just had an achilles tang die of ich if you didn't know:()

And yes very common, that is what ich does to reproduce.

0o.Kelsey.o0 said:
I just picked up a 36 watt one for our large tank actually, apparently we had only an 8 watt one before, not good. We will be running it here for awhile to get the ich population down and then we will be trying to add another tang. (we just had an achilles tang die of ich if you didn't know:()

And yes very common, that is what ich does to reproduce.

Sorry to hear about your tang, I hope mine makes it. I don't know where to start looking for UV, seems good to have for algae, etc. I have one one my pond and it works great.

Sorry to hear about your tang, I hope mine makes it. I don't know where to start looking for UV, seems good to have for algae, etc. I have one one my pond and it works great.

I think yours will make it for sure, our UV light that I just got is a turbo twist. Don't know if that helps at all haha maybe you can order one online. Make sure you have the right amount of watts for your tank, the one we had on our tank was a pond one too and pond ones are built mainly for algae and are not strong enough to kill the ich.

Baby Girl under the AI Sol leds

I decided her name is Baby Girl because, well she is a girl and she is so precious...
img_1392305_0_2a5464444dcaaadb1f6a708a5d1208f2.jpg

She is soo beautiful! How can you look at that fish and not want one?? LOL

I cannot wait to find one for myself!

She is soo beautiful! How can you look at that fish and not want one?? LOL

I cannot wait to find one for myself!

I know, I fell in love with them the first time I saw them, and of course did not get one as I looked it up on my phone and saw the details about keeping them. I'm so glad she came with my tank, she is so much fun to watch hunting. You will have one soon enough, lol! Waiting is so hard to do. I feel bad that my Tang has ich, and wonder if I waited if it would have been any different? I'm doing a huge water change tomorrow before work to help get rid of some of the free floaters, we will see. Other than a 3 spots left Tang is doing fine and never rubbed or showed any signs of being bothered by it. So she must be tough. The waiting game begins...will she be healthy enough for when they hatch again to not get covered. I don't know how I would catch her. I should have QT her, but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm hoping you can quell the next infestation, but it's great that the fish looks good and is acting normal, that's a good sign. Youre right, must be a durable fish lol.

You can't second guess yourself, for all you know it came with another fish so you can't have possibly guessed. :)

Thanks Carey.

Okay, here is another photo under the look I have for evening with more blue than white leds on...
img_1392532_0_337c75413eb1de3902fcd7fdafd5d8be.jpg

Put in a 24 watt uv sterilizer to help reduce some of the next wave of ich. So far still only tang has dots in evening, none in am. No sores or any signs of scratching and none on her eyes.

I did notice the mandarin was missing some of her fin today? No one is aggressive with her that I've seen, so I will be watching to see if there is anymore missing.

You might have a hitchiker crab, I'd set a trap at night just in case. Generally predators stay away from mandarins though because they have some sort of protective coating.

Need advice on a protein skimmer, suggestions? I have a hob red sea that is rated for 40 gal that is not doing a good job been weeks and haven't had to empty it.

I decided on a bubble magus for the skimmer and a filter sock and holder for better mechanical filtration vs the filter floss.

Sebae anenome is doing better, tang is still happy despite the on and off spots from ich. She sleeps in two different rock caves, explores the tank a lot, hangs out with the clowns and mandarin and eats like a pig.

Corals are loving the LEDs.

My Kole tang is hosting the powerhead that is off for the night (I rotate two of them) touching the clowns that are hosting the magnet. Love. It is full moon night with the leds, maybe that is why?

So I decided after sebae was not attaching to anything and looked miserable to give it to someone with a bigger, older tank. I got a tank raised deep red bubble tip anenome instead, it is attached, moved some and has been fully extended more than not, so I'm pretty happy.

The ich spots completely covered the kole tang a few days ago, but she never rubbed or stopped eating. She continues to sleep with the clowns, and no one else in the tank has had a spot on them. So I will continue with feeding multiple times a day and running the UV sterilizer.

Back
Top Bottom