My first SW tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Accidently made this post and can't delete through my iPhone. Sorry!

Ok the power heads are great I'm thinking about getting a hydor rotating head so it can move the sand behind the rock!

Also for my last fish I think I might do the Atlantic angel!

22 what starfish do you have?

Attachments

• image-2610940168.jpg
    image-2610940168.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 76
Sharkbait54 said:
Ok the power heads are great I'm thinking about getting a hydor rotating head so it can move the sand behind the rock!

Also for my last fish I think I might do the Atlantic angel!

22 what starfish do you have?

I have a sand sifting star fish. Be careful with the dwarf angels. They are know to pick on corals. I almost bought one the other day but I can't take the chance

22engine said:
I have a sand sifting star fish. Be careful with the dwarf angels. They are know to pick on corals. I almost bought one the other day but I can't take the chance

Do you have a pic of the star?

I know the angels are bad but I don't have any corals, and won't be adding till maybe a year and a half I'm moving and don't want to kill expensive corals!

Then go for it. I almost said the heck with it but I know it would be s pain to catch it if I had to get it out. I'll send a pic in a min having phone issues.

22engine said:
Then go for it. I almost said the heck with it but I know it would be s pain to catch it if I had to get it out. I'll send a pic in a min having phone issues.

Thats cool i looked it up on live aquaria.

Hopefully the angel will get used to not eating coral in around a year. Supposedly they only pick on hard corals but I know its still a huge chance it will pick on any coral.
My guy at the lfs said he is the least probable to eat corals.

All the fish look great they all came out to eat but then went back to hiding. I guess they need more time to settle in :)

Ok all the fish have come out and are eating great. I really want to add one more fish to tie it all together call it a day and slowly add corals. I'm very undecided!

First I was thinking about a lemon peel or a coral beauty but their potential adult size it won't work in my BioCube.

I then found an cherub Pygmy angel good size beautiful color. But it's an angel! So has anyone ha experience with these guys? I know it's a 50/50 with all angels my guy at the lfs said I shouldn't worry about them eating corals but, corals are expensive.

My other option would be to get another fish but what? What's a good looking fish that's peaceful and won't eat corals?

And that can fit in a 29 BioCube!
Current stock

Snail only CUC
2x clowns
1x royal gramma
1x purple fire fish
1x YWG
1x tiger pistol shrimp
1x porcelaincrab
Help me out :)

I had a half black Pygmy angel, ate all kinds of corals. Ate zoos, killed a trachy, picked my birds nest nearly to death, ate the trumpet, anything I put in there, he ate. Then had to tear down most of rockwork to get him out. Personally, I will never try an angel with coral again, was expensive and a PIA. They are a beautiful fish, though.
The yellowfin flasher wrasse is a beautiful fish, 30g is listed as tank size, so you should be ok. And it's listed as reef safe. I'm planning on putting one in my 30g soon.

Beengirl said:
I had a half black Pygmy angel, ate all kinds of corals. Ate zoos, killed a trachy, picked my birds nest nearly to death, ate the trumpet, anything I put in there, he ate. Then had to tear down most of rockwork to get him out. Personally, I will never try an angel with coral again, was expensive and a PIA. They are a beautiful fish, though.
The yellowfin flasher wrasse is a beautiful fish, 30g is listed as tank size, so you should be ok. And it's listed as reef safe. I'm planning on putting one in my 30g soon.

Thanks ill take a look. Your right the angles are Awesome but if I'm going take the effort to make a nice reef tank I might as well leave them out. I've also heard horror stories of complete tank tear down to get those buggers out.

Just some pictures of my fish and my new blue legged hermits!! Unfortunately my fire fish died apparently my ph was really low: I've added buffer though.

Good news is my wrasse will be in tomorrow but I'm gonna wait at least a week to make sure the ph is settled.

Attachments

• image-2052604081.jpg
    image-2052604081.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image-599680359.jpg
    image-599680359.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-291964514.jpg
    image-291964514.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3562802869.jpg
    image-3562802869.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 84
Sharkbait54 said:
Just some pictures of my fish and my new blue legged hermits!! Unfortunately my fire fish died apparently my ph was really low: I've added buffer though.

Good news is my wrasse will be in tomorrow but I'm gonna wait at least a week to make sure the ph is settled.

Looking good. What was the ph at

22engine said:
Looking good. What was the ph at

7.8 :( im surprised that could kill a fish but he said the purple fire fish was finicky. Its my fault i should have researched them. Im lucky hes giving me another one. Ill prbably just do a reg. instead of the purple.

Sharkbait54 said:
7.8 :( im surprised that could kill a fish but he said the purple fire fish was finicky. Its my fault i should have researched them. Im lucky hes giving me another one. Ill prbably just do a reg. instead of the purple.

I will have to say that I don't think that is the cause. Now I could be wrong. However my tanks ph has always been 7.8-7.9. After much reading and talking with reefers the general answer was people would rather have a stable ph at my levels than have it in the eights and constantly going up and down by having to add buffers. Now this is just my experience but I have not had any problems knock on wood and I have five fish.

22engine said:
I will have to say that I don't think that is the cause. Now I could be wrong. However my tanks ph has always been 7.8-7.9. After much reading and talking with reefers the general answer was people would rather have a stable ph at my levels than have it in the eights and constantly going up and down by having to add buffers. Now this is just my experience but I have not had any problems knock on wood and I have five fish.

You know thinking about it and remembering freshwater tanks your right. For some reason I thought marine tanks were different and somehow needed buffers.

I'm going to stop adding buffers I don't want the swings to kill the rest of my fish.

I'm just happy I'm getting another fish.

Ok so next week I'm going to pick up my new fish I also ordered a small sand sifting star!
This is the one they got me!

I'll probably wait another 2 weeks to get another purple fire fish though.

Finally my stock will be complete and I can start buying corals. I just wish I could get some good deals around here. I suppose I must be patient!

I'm gonna go visit a new SW store here downtown called music city reef. I'll post some pics!

Attachments

• image-1950980959.jpg
    image-1950980959.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom