My first SW tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would love to try least try to get a mandarin I will wait till I have enough pods I'm looking to wait at least 6 months after I start my fuge and introduce pods.

Again, I would advise extreme caution here. Mandarins spend all day roaming and picking at rock and eating pods. You need a large tank to have enough rock to support a massive pod population. Having a fuge/sump full of LR will help a lot, but then its a matter of if enough of them are getting flushed up the pump into the display for the fish.
I had a 1yr old 90 gallon with 50 gallon sump and what I thought was a large pod population and the mandarin ended up decimating it and eventually starving. It was one of my rookie mistakes that I hate seeing repeated.

If you are seriously interested in keeping one, I would start with something like tigger-pods or ordered package. Dump them in your fuge and give them several months to multiply and build a large culture. Then monitor it closely once you add the mandarin, being ready to restock if needed.

Jimbo7 said:
Again, I would advise extreme caution here. Mandarins spend all day roaming and picking at rock and eating pods. You need a large tank to have enough rock to support a massive pod population. Having a fuge/sump full of LR will help a lot, but then its a matter of if enough of them are getting flushed up the pump into the display for the fish.
I had a 1yr old 90 gallon with 50 gallon sump and what I thought was a large pod population and the mandarin ended up decimating it and eventually starving. It was one of my rookie mistakes that I hate seeing repeated.

If you are seriously interested in keeping one, I would start with something like tigger-pods or ordered package. Dump them in your fuge and give them several months to multiply and build a large culture. Then monitor it closely once you add the mandarin, being ready to restock if needed.

I appreciate it I will wait ample time to add. Another reason I want one is cause my friend at the lfs said he would train one to eat frozen foods before he sold me one so that's a bonus!

Did a 5g water change today and everything looks good.

Does anyone know where to get a splash lens for this tank? I heard intank has one but I cant find them!

Also i got this tank second hand and i noticed other biocube have like a little stand for the hood to stay open how do i get that?

Sharkbait54 said:
Ok I've thought of a stock plan tell me what you think!

2x clowns
1x blue spot goby
1x coral banded shrimp
8xsnails
1x chalk bass
1x mandarin goby
1x Pygmy angel
1x porcelain crab

Ok instead of the angel I'm getting a possum wrasse. I did like the Six lines but apparently they can be a pain.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Im not a fan of dragonetts in small tanks, but you can try it i guess.... Not a bad stock

You know Im prbably not goin to do him either its not worth it if hes just goin to die :(

Sharkbait54 said:
Did a 5g water change today and everything looks good.

Does anyone know where to get a splash lens for this tank? I heard intank has one but I cant find them!

Also i got this tank second hand and i noticed other biocube have like a little stand for the hood to stay open how do i get that?

Can any one help me with this?

You should call the manufacturer or look on their website or email them. You'll be surprised at all the stuff you can get from the manufacturer. Is it an oceanic biocube?

scottayy said:
You should call the manufacturer or look on their website or email them. You'll be surprised at all the stuff you can get from the manufacturer. Is it an oceanic biocube?

Yep, I already emailed them to see if they could steer me in the right direction. From what I hear they don't sell them.

I wonder will 2 hydor evolution 425 pumps with a Hydor wave maker still make the clicking sound people say? Or is that just the older versions?

Sharkbait54 said:
I wonder will 2 hydor evolution 425 pumps with a Hydor wave maker still make the clicking sound people say? Or is that just the older versions?

Not sure what clicking sound you are referring to. I have the koralia 425 and I don't hear anything.

22engine said:
Not sure what clicking sound you are referring to. I have the koralia 425 and I don't hear anything.

I've just heard ppl mention that on other threads. I forgot you had dual koralias with the wave maker what do you have it set at? 15 min intervals or at the same time, can you post a pic so i can get an idea of where I should point them? Im planning on ordering mine soon.

Sharkbait54 said:
I've just heard ppl mention that on other threads. I forgot you had dual koralias with the wave maker what do you have it set at? 15 min intervals or at the same time, can you post a pic so i can get an idea of where I should point them? Im planning on ordering mine soon.

Right now they are at 30 min alternating. But I go back and forth between that and 15.

image-1358575904.jpg

There is one on the left higher pointing towards the surface some and then the one on the right just above we're my BW clown is in the pic. That one is pointed straight across the back

22engine said:
Right now they are at 30 min alternating. But I go back and forth between that and 15.

There is one on the left higher pointing towards the surface some and then the one on the right just above we're my BW clown is in the pic. That one is pointed straight across the back

Thanks it helps alot btw good looking tank!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hows the tank coming along dude?? :)

Good thanks still battling with algea but the snails have gotten the upper hand. I'm planning on add the porcelain crab and maybe get some dwarf hermits on thursday! Will my tank be ok with all those algae eaters or would it be ok? I currently have 8 snails and one turbo.

I will also be add the chalk bass on Thursday. Also I'll be ordering hopefully a yellow or white banded possum wrasse, unless I see something I like and is compatible with my stock.

I really liked 88's goby but I don't wanna over do it with my stock haha :)

Hopefully in a couple weeks I'm gonna go ahead and buy a hydor wave maker another 425, intank fuge, 10w underwater light, and we'll see what else!!

I love SW! ;)

Back
Top Bottom