Are my fish expecting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingMaddog

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 female guppies and they look pregnant. I'm not sure on how to tell if they are for sure. Here are pics, someone tell me if I should be thinking about removing them and putting them in a "birthing box". Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I know the water looks cloudy, I'm getting ready to do a water change as I type this.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1393179874326.jpg
    1393179874326.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 1393179893608.jpg
    1393179893608.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 90
Give them 2 weeks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You say 2 weeks huh? It's only been a couple days and they both look a lot bigger. I think the lighter one is ready to pop.
What can I do about my water being cloudy? I did a water change with no results.

Attachments

• CAM00617.jpg
    CAM00617.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 64
  • CAM00616.jpg
    CAM00616.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Doesn't look like the mothers are squaring off yet. Use purigen as filter media and everything will be fine. Don't add chemicals if you're using purigen.

Purigen? Never heard of it. I have a penguin bio wheel filter, but it's fairly new so no bacteria on the bio wheel yet

You can buy bottled bacteria, amazon search purigen . you only need 100ml

You can go the bottled bacteria route. It has mixed results for people. Make sure you are on top of water changes, since you are still cycling. The cloudy could be a bacterial bloom (which is fine) get your water tested, post the results. If your water is bad, the fry won't survive.

moving guppies too soon can stress them and they will abort. Until you have more practice, just make sure there are lots of hiding places for the babies in case they give birth. Then you can scoop them into a hang-in net breeding box.

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I have some bottled bacteria that I bought at the pet store. GuppyRookie, are you on youtube? I searched "how to tell if your guppy is going to give birth soon" and found a video posted by someone with the same name and was wondering if it was you.

I ended up getting a bottle of API Accu Clear and used it. You can see a major difference after just few a hours.

Attachments

• 1393459500222.jpg
    1393459500222.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 69
I have 5 fry that are survivors. They like to hang around this rock and swim in the cave it has. They also like to hang in the plant I have and graze on the little bit of algae that is on it.

Here's a quick video of them. They were hanging out in the open but swam away when I grabbed the phone so I did the best I could.

Back
Top Bottom