Betta breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully I will be spawning mine again sometime this week... females are eggy, so I just need to move the last few fry that are still in the spawning tank, clean it up and take most of the water out, then pick a pair. That will be the hard part as I have some gorgeous males... do I breed the black hmpk, the blue and yellow ct, or the blue and red double tail first? And to which female? Good thing I have a second spawning tank about to go up!

What kinds/colors of females do you have?

Ok Betta breeders, I Need some help. Bought this tank a while back and cycled it. Put these two in there about a week and a half ago. I put the fake on the side that has the pink tree decoration and I put the male on the side with the blue tree decoration. This tank is in my office at work and I came in the next morning and they had switched sides. They stayed that way for a few days and then they switched back again. Then this morning I notice the female over on he makes side and they began the mating ritual. I saw him wrap himself around her about five different times. And now she is back on hr side of the tank and I can see eggs in the bubble nest. Ok so now what do I do. Wasn't expecting this to happen. It totally took me by surprise.

image-1220339889.jpg

image-2887788678.jpg

image-865552828.jpg

What kinds/colors of females do you have?

Red veil, red Cambodian veil, red hm with aqua fin edges and iridescence, aqua hm, dark blue ct, a yellowish brown vt, and a blue orchid hm. There is a white hm as well but I haven't seen her in a couple days and I am fearing the worst. I also have a purple hm and a mustard gas hm coming to me this week.

Ok Betta breeders, I Need some help. Bought this tank a while back and cycled it. Put these two in there about a week and a half ago. I put the fake on the side that has the pink tree decoration and I put the male on the side with the blue tree decoration. This tank is in my office at work and I came in the next morning and they had switched sides. They stayed that way for a few days and then they switched back again. Then this morning I notice the female over on he makes side and they began the mating ritual. I saw him wrap himself around her about five different times. And now she is back on hr side of the tank and I can see eggs in the bubble nest. Ok so now what do I do. Wasn't expecting this to happen. It totally took me by surprise.

Oh wow! What a surprise! When the eggs start hatching, you need to move the male, although in your case I would carefully scoop the nest out with a cup and bring it home since this is a work tank. Put the nest into a 10 gal half filled with water and start up an infusoria culture asap to feed when they start swimming. I would order some microworms quickly, too. They need live food for the first few weeks. Keep their tank warm and keep it covered.

Oh wow! What a surprise! When the eggs start hatching, you need to move the male, although in your case I would carefully scoop the nest out with a cup and bring it home since this is a work tank. Put the nest into a 10 gal half filled with water and start up an infusoria culture asap to feed when they start swimming. I would order some microworms quickly, too. They need live food for the first few weeks. Keep their tank warm and keep it covered.

Thanks for the info. I came in this morning and most of the eggs are gone. I see a few on the females side of the tank and I can see some on the filter pad. I don't know what happened. Can I still rescue the ones that on the filter pad?

Red veil, red Cambodian veil, red hm with aqua fin edges and iridescence, aqua hm, dark blue ct, a yellowish brown vt, and a blue orchid hm. There is a white hm as well but I haven't seen her in a couple days and I am fearing the worst. I also have a purple hm and a mustard gas hm coming to me this week.

Oooooh, blue and yellow ct male with blue ct female may be cool.

Oooooh, blue and yellow ct male with blue ct female may be cool.

I agree, and the blue ct female has been bred before, so I know she is fertile. She's a bit of an egg eater, though... she ate most of her spawn!

Oh, and I had a brain fart when I posted my list earlier... My solid red female with no iridescence is a crowntail, lol.

Do either of them have any patterns?

The male has an awesome pattern. His tail and part of his body are blue, and his dorsal and anal fins are half blue, half yellow. The female is just a dark blue. I am thinking about waiting for the hm girl I bought from Anna to get here and get situated to breed him. She has very similar patterning and coloration. It might take a little longer to get good fins out of them, but the similarity in coloration is pretty amazing. She should be arriving tomorrow!

The male has an awesome pattern. His tail and part of his body are blue, and his dorsal and anal fins are half blue, half yellow. The female is just a dark blue. I am thinking about waiting for the hm girl I bought from Anna to get here and get situated to breed him. She has very similar patterning and coloration. It might take a little longer to get good fins out of them, but the similarity in coloration is pretty amazing. She should be arriving tomorrow!

Awesome! My fish should also be arriving tomorrow! :D

Thanks for the info. I came in this morning and most of the eggs are gone. I see a few on the females side of the tank and I can see some on the filter pad. I don't know what happened. Can I still rescue the ones that on the filter pad?

Thanks so much for your help. I was able to save some of the eggs but not sure if they will survive. I put them in a container and took them home. The males bubble nest was not big at all. I think that's why the eggs were up in the filter. I should have turned the filter off when i first saw the eggs. I will take the male and female home and set up a breeder tank for them and try to condition them so he creates a good bubble nest.

Ok question, I have a half moon betta (male) that will not blow bubble nest and he will not attack other females. Currently he's in a tank with a female originally to breed but they don't even acknowledge each other. No fighting no aggression no nothing. What is going on? Usually male bettas at least flare at females.

Ok question, I have a half moon betta (male) that will not blow bubble nest and he will not attack other females. Currently he's in a tank with a female originally to breed but they don't even acknowledge each other. No fighting no aggression no nothing. What is going on? Usually male bettas at least flare at females.

Maybe he is ill. examine him really close to see if you can see any white fuzzy stuff on his body. Hold him up to a light and look at him. Velvet disease is common with Bettas. Sometimes it's hard to detect until its to late.

I was getting ready to buy one from Petco and on the way to the register I held him up to the light coming in the window and I could see this white (almost clear) fuzzy stuff all over his body.

Ok remember those eggs I tried to save from my Betta pair at work. Well they hatched. I counted at least 20 fry. Wow they are tiny. So I was raising micro, banana and Walter worms for my Angel fry. Will the betta fry eat those? If not what should I feed them? Thanks.

Hi There,
My Betta pair at the office are spawning again. This time i turned off the filter so the eggs don't get sucked up into the filter pad. After they are done i will remove the female and after the eggs hatch I will remove the male. Please let me know if thee is something I am missing. Thanks.

Ok remember those eggs I tried to save from my Betta pair at work. Well they hatched. I counted at least 20 fry. Wow they are tiny. So I was raising micro, banana and Walter worms for my Angel fry. Will the betta fry eat those? If not what should I feed them? Thanks.

Micro worms are one of the best first foods for the betta fry. :)

As for your pair at work, I would suggest to make a better effort to separate them as continual breeding is taxing on the health of the fish.

Micro worms are one of the best first foods for the betta fry. :)

As for your pair at work, I would suggest to make a better effort to separate them as continual breeding is taxing on the health of the fish.

Ok thanks for the info. They are in a 2.5 gallon bow tank with a divider. Because of the bow front they are able to get through to the other side. I will have to figure something out.

Ok thanks for the info. They are in a 2.5 gallon bow tank with a divider. Because of the bow front they are able to get through to the other side. I will have to figure something out.

Try taking a piece of airline tubing and cutting through one side of it, lengthwise. You can use this piece as a seal along the edge of the divider to take up the space. I've done this with my plexi dividers and it has worked!

Back
Top Bottom