Betta breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I know a few of us have betta breeding projects in the works, and since we have all been discussing it over various threads, I thought I should make a thread for us to all post our progress and discuss our plans!

I finally set up a breeding tank today, so hopefully in the next couple days I will have some progress to share! I'm planning on trying my blue orchid female with Ninja, my black hmpk, first. Hopefully they will take a liking to one another, but if not, I have 7 other females to try! I floated him in the sorority last night and the dominant female wouldn't really let anyone else get close enough to flirt with him. And she isn't my first choice breeder, at all. So I'm just going to present him with one female at a time and hope for the best.

I finish my setup today as well, only item missing is a physical barrier to let the female out of site of the male if necessary.

Attachments

• image-1948378528.jpg
    image-1948378528.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Ok our own spot! From the other thread Alyxx you may wanna have that adjustable heater in the breeder. I was told by Bob here( in the chat room) sugested running the Breeder at 80f so the bubbles are stickier. I did and now they are not falling out anymore, and he is sticking em the nest deeper.

If the female occupying Ninja wont let other girls near the cup....I would remove her and see if your choice shows up and pays attention to him. She may or may not this time though

I finish my setup today as well, only item missing is a physical barrier to let the female out of site of the male if necessary.

just a suggestion... in your breeder, you may wanna put something the lady can hide in or under. They will get rough during courtship and she may need a place to get out of the male's sight for a few. I use just 2 big rocks leaning on each other to make a cave or two she can hide in. Fake plants can work....or one of those fish cave ornaments. Just so she can get a breather and if you are away after they finish breeding he will chase her severely....she may need a refuge til you notice!

I need to put hiding places in mine too. But for now I'm just letting the water warm up, no plans to stick anyone in there just yet. And yeah, once the water gets to temp I am going to shuffle my heaters around. My two males in the divided tank will probably get the non adjustable heater. I bought some seriously tiny terra cotta pots the other day, and I will probably end up using those and some floaty plants to make hiding spots in the breeding tank.

Oh, and I finally added the Walmart crowntail to the sorority, and man has she darkened up! She's gorgeous, and I will try to get a good shot of her soon. She is also showing vertical stripes despite never having seen the boys. She might be my first breeding choice now, actually.

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie at betta breeding but two months ago we bred our dumbo with our halfmoon female for fun. Here are some pictures of the parents and fry. The fry are now two and a half months old. Not sure if they look small for their age? we fed them baby brine shrimp from the start (didn't have access to microworms) and now feeding flakes. Thanks!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130425_190407.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130425_190407.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 240
  • ForumRunner_20130425_190459.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130425_190459.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 222
  • ForumRunner_20130425_190540.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130425_190540.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 215
  • ForumRunner_20130425_190616.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130425_190616.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 232
I need to put hiding places in mine too. But for now I'm just letting the water warm up, no plans to stick anyone in there just yet. And yeah, once the water gets to temp I am going to shuffle my heaters around. My two males in the divided tank will probably get the non adjustable heater. I bought some seriously tiny terra cotta pots the other day, and I will probably end up using those and some floaty plants to make hiding spots in the breeding tank.

Oh, and I finally added the Walmart crowntail to the sorority, and man has she darkened up! She's gorgeous, and I will try to get a good shot of her soon. She is also showing vertical stripes despite never having seen the boys. She might be my first breeding choice now, actually.

Cool! Oh and I am glad she turned out so good! I think they stripe up like every 20-some days. BUT all my girls striped up when the boys were floating in there..Cant wait to see her now she has colored up.

Switched the heaters around and added some Indian almond leaves to the water. Need to order some more, actually. Tomorrow afternoon I plan on putting the fish in, so they can get acquainted and and then I can see how they do together Saturday while I am off work all day.

Edit - spawning tank is now at 86! Turned the heater down a notch so hopefully it will end up around 83-84 by tomorrow.

Well it is day 4. No fry yet I am watching the tank with a small flashlite for the first hint of fry. Loki is eating pellets now, I coaxed him into eating yeterday...he is still tending the nest. He did figure out to shove the eggs in the nest deeper so they do not fall any more. He is learning. But hard to see if tails are sticking out of the eggs

Update: Checked the eggs again, can see eyespots for sure and 5-6 eggs have tripled in size, no hatching yet. Loki is no not tending the nest as he was before. he cruises around the tank returning to the nest every few to tend. He seems to be losing interest???

Ok it is 6 days and no hatch...So........Pulled Loki from the tank and set up the next pair..Cthulu and Anne.. two crowntails she is well egged and striped. The initial meeting went well and she seems to just cant stay away from him. He has built a massive nest overnight just working on getting her under it.

Yeah, 6 days is a bit too much, 3-4 should be the absolute max time (depending on temp). If you keep the temp at around 82-84 they should hatch within 24-48hrs, mine are usually around the 36 mark.

I started conditioning my new pair today. A blue eagle and his sibling. Here's some pictures, nothing special as I just imported them and they are still adjusting.

Attachments

• image-472489705.jpg
    image-472489705.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 201
  • image-1327404795.jpg
    image-1327404795.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 186
Yeah, 6 days is a bit too much, 3-4 should be the absolute max time (depending on temp). If you keep the temp at around 82-84 they should hatch within 24-48hrs, mine are usually around the 36 mark.

I started conditioning my new pair today. A blue eagle and his sibling. Here's some pictures, nothing special as I just imported them and they are still adjusting.

Nice pair! hope that works out!!!
My temps are around 82-84..so ya it should have been on Thursday. Think it was due to inexperience from the dad. Now I got the next air going well... If all pans out when I get home from work at 7 am tomorrow, hope to see eggs! She is all heads down for him now but he hasnt got her under the nest yet

Well I put my crowntail female in last night but she jumped from the net and did a little carpet surfing before I got her in there! So I let her stay overnight in the spawning tank to recover and put her back with the other girls today. She seemed a bit too shook up to try breeding her so soon after such an accident. She is no worse for wear though, and doing fine today. I'm acclimating the blue orchid female to my spawning tank now instead.

Woo! I woke up this morning to the biggest bubblenest I have ever seen! the lady hasn't quite striped up yet, but Ninja is courting and nesting like a pro! Can't wait to see the nest when I get home from work!

Nice to see you guys are doing well. But I seem to be having trouble with finding a female beta

Back
Top Bottom