Breeding nets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted this in the getting started forum as well hoping to get as many opinions as possible and wanted to post here as well. What do you all think?
How do you all feel about them? I have a very very pregnant Micky mouse platy, and I have been debating for a while on whether or not to put her in the net until she gives birth. I would like to Be able to keep some of the fry but will not be able to keep all of them since I only have a 10 gallon. I'm just wondering if maybe I should move her to the breeding net because I've noticed my other platy keeps nipping and chasing her around a lot where the fry will come out. Again I have created a fry hide out area in my tank thank is heavily planted, I just keep think its not enough cover for the fry. Suggestions? This is the best picture I could get of her, she is never still, and I swear she's camera shy! The picture of what looks like a plant mess is the fry hideout.

Attachments

• image-3032349036.jpg
    image-3032349036.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 144
  • image-3182578920.jpg
    image-3182578920.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 115
For future reference, please only post questions in 1 section. It gets confusing for people to try and answer you when the question is in more than one place. People should see it here and give you plenty of input. :)

IME, breeding nets for gravid fish are not worth it. You can only leave them in there for a limited amount of time (like a day or 2 at most) and then need to let them out again. Guessing when the fry will come and moving the female at the right time is tricky. I keep breeding nets to put fry in after they are born. With enough plant cover, even that is not necessary, but I still do it because I like to keep an eye on the fry and watch them grow.

Thanks for your input! She is most definitely gravid, I'm amazed she hasn't had fry yet. She is pretty squared off looking too, but she's still looking more and more square by the day. Does their gravid spot actually move closer to where she will give birth when she's close or does it just get darker?

Thanks for your input! She is most definitely gravid, I'm amazed she hasn't had fry yet. She is pretty squared off looking too, but she's still looking more and more square by the day. Does their gravid spot actually move closer to where she will give birth when she's close or does it just get darker?

I have never noticed it moving, but I don't actually know that it doesn't. One thing that throws you for a loop when predicting the time of dropping, the fish can hold onto the fry for a few days extra if she wants to. She can also abort them if need be before they are ready. Some fish are ok in the breeding nets, but since the nets tend to stress the fish out, they often choose not to drop fry inside them anyways. I do know some people have had better luck with them than me though. You can always try it, just make sure not to leave her in there for more than a day or 2 at a time.

Back
Top Bottom