Breeding Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

removedastars

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi there i'm wanting to do some kind of breeding [small tropicals]. i'm looking at a 29gal kit at my work to keep the parents and a 2.5 to 10 gal for the fry depending on what kind of fish i get. what would you all suggest for breeding? i would love to make some money off my fish!

I have bred fancy guppies and bettas before so i'd like to try something new. maybe sailfin mollies or regular mollies...suggestions guys? thanks!

~lauren

There are loads of options for plecos. What about paradise fish? corydoras? angels?

Angels are cichlids so they are "out".

How about cardinals, neons, emperor tetras, glowlight tetras, other tetras, loaches, barbs, gouramis...

If you are wanting to make money then you might want to consider a relatively difficult species to breed. With that said, most of the suggestions in my list as well as other's aren't useful. Neons can be purchased in bulk for $.30 each. No store would buy them from you at a decent price and all of the work involved to get $.30 isn't worth the work IMO.

Also, I think you may be thinking that the breeders will spawn in the 29 gallon tank and then you can move the fry to a smaller tank...is this correct? Most likely you will want only a 10 gallon tank to put a pair in but for some species like cardinals and neons it's best to isolate the males from the females in separate tanks (10 gallons) and then introduce a pair to another 10 gallon tank.

Angels are cichlids so they are "out".

How about cardinals, neons, emperor tetras, glowlight tetras, other tetras, loaches, barbs, gouramis...

If you are wanting to make money then you might want to consider a relatively difficult species to breed. With that said, most of the suggestions in my list as well as other's aren't useful. Neons can be purchased in bulk for $.30 each. No store would buy them from you at a decent price and all of the work involved to get $.30 isn't worth the work IMO.

Also, I think you may be thinking that the breeders will spawn in the 29 gallon tank and then you can move the fry to a smaller tank...is this correct? Most likely you will want only a 10 gallon tank to put a pair in but for some species like cardinals and neons it's best to isolate the males from the females in separate tanks (10 gallons) and then introduce a pair to another 10 gallon tank.

I know angel's are cichlids,but I figured I would throw it out there anyway.

Pleco's aren't incredibly difficult to breed, and many species are drawing some good money lately.

Plecos would be a good one, especially if you can get into the long finned and albino BN plecos. Gold nuggets would also be something that I would be interested in if I were to try to breed plecos. Maybe you could spend several grand and get some L46 breeders!

Plecos would be a good one, especially if you can get into the long finned and albino BN plecos. Gold nuggets would also be something that I would be interested in if I were to try to breed plecos. Maybe you could spend several grand and get some L46 breeders!

There is money to be made in BN pleco's, especially the longfins. However, the newer "calico" coloration seems to be what people are after now.

Back
Top Bottom