Breeding theories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I wondered what people thought about two theories I have which are quite distinct, re encouraging spawning.

1. Traditional view: ensure conditions are perfect for spawning (right pH, right temp, mimic seasons/moonlight as necessary, right hiding places and aquascaping, right tankmates, bonded/paired/m:f ratio).

2. My thoughts: less than perfect conditions (sudden change in temp, temporary less than perfect water params, sudden change in water quality (e.g. brought on by a water change etc.)).

The reason I was thinking about the latter is this: I have noticed fish spawning in tanks which are really unclean and haven't had a proper gravel vac or water change in a while (say 2 weeks to one month). I also know from speaking with people that cichlids, in general, are prone to spawning after a water change.
It's my belief, well, assumption really, that fish will spawn in less than ideal conditions as a survival instinct: if conditions continue to deteriorate or change rapidly then the fish may die (this would be their instinctive understanding at least).

What do people think? Some of this theory descends from envy I should point out: someone with a fairly poor track record in tank cleanliness managing to breed fish like crazy (inc. cories). It was the only logical conclusion I could reach.

Well, just because a tank hasn't been cleaned thoroughly doesn't necessarily mean that the water conditions are terrible, particularly if there are plants in there. And some species are way more sensitive to water quality than others. I bet he's not breeding discus.

And you mention that cichlids start to breed after a water change, which presumably improves the water quality. I don't think fish would spawn as a desperate survival tactic. Why put out babies if the environment is deteriorating? Rather, I think a lot of the things you mentioned, such as temperature and water parameter changes, can be similar to the changes in seasons in nature that trigger spawning. For example, raising temp and water level can be similar to the rainy season in the Amazon, and is often key to triggering SA species to breed.

I think the real answer is somewhere in the middle of your two theories. Yes, if you're serious about breeding and provide ideal conditions, you've got a good chance at being successful. On the other hand, fish probably aren't as picky as we suppose, and a lot of people have been pleasantly surprised, as you say. But I also suspect these people aren't that serious about breeding and their survival rates are low.

Sudden changes in water values (after water changes) and good water conditions (your tank isn't necesairly a dirty tank after two weeks, might be perfect after a month even if you do everything right) will simulate heavy rainfall I believe, which is when fish breed in the wild. It has something to do with change of season and thus change of water chemistry in the wild, and I'm pretty sure it's heavy rains that triggers spawns in allot of species.

I can get my cichlids to spawn almost anytime when fed a variety of frozen foods and doing a water change with sligthly colder water, or raising tank temp.

Fish (even discus), will spawn in less than ideal conditions. There is a dramatic difference between an accidental spawn in a community tank, and skillfully inducing a species to spawn. One has to do with luck while the other exhibits knowledge and determination.

You can envy your friend his or her luck coldmachine, but you can't admire their skills. Successfully breeding fish is a learning experience. The more one does it, the more skilled they become. Setting up a pair to spawn and raising them to saleable size needs more than luck. It requires due diligence and preparation.

Only those that set out to spawn a species, even if they fail, can be considered breeders.

Back
Top Bottom