Bristlenose plecos breeding!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nu-Nu the eel said:
The other poster who breeds albino bn plecos

Oh. Well from my experience you shouldnt keep 2 adult plecos in a ten gal nomatter what. Bristle nose can get to be 9 in I think I'll have to check. They need room to breed and a cave. There are some special caves you can get specifically for breeding. Also the babbys Can stay in the ten gal until They Are 2-3 in otherwise They Will get stressed out.

Hey bristle nosed catfish are not plecos they are smaller.
Plecos grow to 15inches bristles grow to 5 inches tops they are in the Loricariidae family but plecos and bristle nosed cats maybe cousins 2 aunts but not directly related plecos are the biggest catfish bnc are 1 of the smallest

10 gallons is enough to breed them as 1gallon = 3.8 litre's so for a start there's 38 litres your playing with + the filters

So if every inch of fish need 10 litre's your over by 18 litre's spare water + the filter I recommend a hush 5-15 (or any hang on filter) with a NEW car wash sized sponge on the intake and take the cartridges out of the hush or hang on like the charcoal but a bio filter is cool to leave it there or do what I did bugger the car was sponge and put stocking material over the intake stretched out a bit so no fry can fit in

tank cons

ph 6.7
Kh 0.01
Gh 0.01
Chlorine 0%
Heater on 25.c
rain water is best then adjust ph if needed

Live plants Anubis growing of driftwood or so enough to cover 1/10 of the tank

lighting 10hrs on 14 off

FOOD:
zucchini fresh straight out of the fridge sliced weighed down take out when mushy and some Driftwood

FILTRATION:

Under-gravel filter with you hang on sucking it up with the air driven 1

strong hang on filter eg: if you tank is a 20 litre get a 200 litre p/h pump

Breeding them

I first used a small bowl upside down held up by rocks to make a cave but have brought a ceramic cave for them it's as big as a pack of smokes but longer and has 1 opening they have never used it but another new pair have???

Sexing

males have long bristles like 2-6mm like a beard
But girls not as much if any but on mustache but very small like 1-3mm

Haha thanks guys! And ya 5" tops for the bn pleco! I have pretty much everything that is needed for the fish, tons of rocks, drift wood, plants ( have tons in my 40 g planted) and 2 filters in the 10 for better filtration. I also have another 10 g for the fry

No, ancistrus do not grow to 9 inches.

not to disagree but.........
yes, they do.............;)

there is even proof, a seller on AB sellin them

the original ones from wild are over 9"............now the biggest you can find are 7"........many......search:D

the biggest i've SEEN in my life is a 7.75"(around, +/- .25") at my LFS for $20........someone brought it in, it was a male with bristles and albino

Hey bristle nosed catfish are not plecos they are smaller.
Plecos grow to 15inches bristles grow to 5 inches tops they are in the Loricariidae family but plecos and bristle nosed cats maybe cousins 2 aunts but not directly related plecos are the biggest catfish bnc are 1 of the smallest

10 gallons is enough to breed them as 1gallon = 3.8 litre's so for a start there's 38 litres your playing with + the filters

So if every inch of fish need 10 litre's your over by 18 litre's spare water + the filter I recommend a hush 5-15 (or any hang on filter) with a NEW car wash sized sponge on the intake and take the cartridges out of the hush or hang on like the charcoal but a bio filter is cool to leave it there or do what I did bugger the car was sponge and put stocking material over the intake stretched out a bit so no fry can fit in

tank cons

ph 6.7
Kh 0.01
Gh 0.01
Chlorine 0%
Heater on 25.c
rain water is best then adjust ph if needed

Live plants Anubis growing of driftwood or so enough to cover 1/10 of the tank

lighting 10hrs on 14 off

FOOD:
zucchini fresh straight out of the fridge sliced weighed down take out when mushy and some Driftwood

FILTRATION:

Under-gravel filter with you hang on sucking it up with the air driven 1

strong hang on filter eg: if you tank is a 20 litre get a 200 litre p/h pump

Breeding them

I first used a small bowl upside down held up by rocks to make a cave but have brought a ceramic cave for them it's as big as a pack of smokes but longer and has 1 opening they have never used it but another new pair have???

Sexing

males have long bristles like 2-6mm like a beard
But girls not as much if any but on mustache but very small like 1-3mm

females can get bristles AS LARGE AS the males during breeding.........just saying;)

and yes, you can breed in a 10G............but HERE IS A GREAT EX:!:)

IT WOULD BE LIKE YOU LIVING WITH 2 OTHER PPL IN A 1 BR APT.
think about it

doesn't make sense, does it?, same for fish, well you could even put a 10" pleco in a 10G and it'll live, but it doesn't mean you're meeting its requirements nor if its happy.......or not............
js

How many species of ancistrus are there? The answer is a lot.

What does that mean? It means that there are a lot of variants in size, color, etc. What does that have to do with the average common BN pleco? Not much at all.

The bottom line is that a couple years of suspected 'inbreeding' didn't cause them to shrink.

sigh.

females can get bristles AS LARGE AS the males during breeding.........just saying;)

and yes, you can breed in a 10G............but HERE IS A GREAT EX:!:)

IT WOULD BE LIKE YOU LIVING WITH 2 OTHER PPL IN A 1 BR APT.
think about it

doesn't make sense, does it?, same for fish, well you could even put a 10" pleco in a 10G and it'll live, but it doesn't mean you're meeting its requirements nor if its happy.......or not............
js

Sorry I have to address this.

No offense TFB, but I know you've only been doing this fish keeping thing for what, a few months now? (remember your first posts from AC?) And while I can appreciate the energy and drive, you are going up against people who actually have a lot of experience breeding and keeping this species. Not everyone here is a newb, many here are breeders with dedicated setups, businesses, etc.

A breeding setup is nothing like a long term setup, and breeders often use much smaller tanks for breeding for a few reasons. First, it makes it easier for the breeder to keep an eye on whats going on in the tank. Second, with BN pleco especially, it seems like they do better pairing up in smaller tanks because in larger tanks the males and females can often 'ignore' or 'forget' about one another.

The bristles don't come out 'during breeding', they come out when the fish is maturing. Females can get bristles, but the males bristles are most often far more pronounced and branchy.

If the water quality is maintained and the fish are kept healthy, I really don't see what the problem is.

TheFishBoss97 said:
not to disagree but.........
yes, they do.............;)

there is even proof, a seller on AB sellin them

the original ones from wild are over 9"............now the biggest you can find are 7"........many......search:D

the biggest i've SEEN in my life is a 7.75"(around, +/- .25") at my LFS for $20........someone brought it in, it was a male with bristles and albino

Ya. Some guy that started a thread about plecos also told me that bristlenose can get up to about 8-9 in but even two five inch plecos in a ten gal can get stressful

Geez the misinformation runs rampant in this thread
PlanetCatfish • home of aquarium catfishes • PlanetCatfish.com
There are TONS of ancistrus species out there. More than likely the OP is referring to L144. planetcatfish is probably the top site for info on plecs. I highly suggest the people who've said 'i heard from' or 'so and so told me' do their own research instead of recycling information that may or may not be true.

Indeed, blanket statements about Ancistrus species shouldn't be made since there are so many variables, and many new species showing up. the species commonly seen in the trade, may not be a true species anymore, but is what was commonly called gold dot BN, and is the source of the brown, yellow, albino, and probably even the calico. Many hobbyists are breeding them now, so the value has dropped significantly. Still, one of the better plecos for the home aquarium, since they seldom exceed 6".

Just to make sure this is what species we are referring too

The name Ancistrus is derived from the Greek word agkistron, meaning hook, in reference to the interopercular odontodes that are hooked. This specific epithet literally means heavily-armed(hoplon=heavily-armed) chin(genys=chin) and refers to the fringe of soft tentacles around the edge of its snout. Mature males and sometimes females have soft tentacles (bushy fleshy growths) on the snout - this is unique to the genus Ancistrus.

ALL ancistrus have bristles on their nose. That's what we're trying to make YOU understand. When you say 'bristle nose' you seem to think you're talking of one specific pleco, when you're actually referring to an entire genus. Are you beginning to understand the argument?

+1^

and the BN you're referring to, if you're talking about the ones that petco sells and which are known as regular brown, and albinos.........ALL get bristles, MALEs AND FEMALEs.....but usually only males get them, BUT females can get them during breeding

FastFly67 said:
The name Ancistrus is derived from the Greek word agkistron, meaning hook, in reference to the interopercular odontodes that are hooked. This specific epithet literally means heavily-armed(hoplon=heavily-armed) chin(genys=chin) and refers to the fringe of soft tentacles around the edge of its snout. Mature males and sometimes females have soft tentacles (bushy fleshy growths) on the snout - this is unique to the genus Ancistrus.

ALL ancistrus have bristles on their nose. That's what we're trying to make YOU understand. When you say 'bristle nose' you seem to think you're talking of one specific pleco, when you're actually referring to an entire genus. Are you beginning to understand the argument?

Yes but I was always referring to the species. What I meant was if it's called a Bristol nose, is L144 the specific pleco the op is referring too. Also I think your argument wasnt meant specifically twords me.

There were some at the pet store and they were too small to determine wether they were males or females

Back
Top Bottom