corys finally got out of their eggs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amitnarain

Aquarium Advice Freak
:!: hello. :!:

:D my cory frys finally are swimming. yaaaaahhhooooo!
after the second attemp and two female cory deaths i finally got about 15 frys.
1. do u think all will survive?

2. what about mortality rate for frys for albino corys?

3. btw all are doing well. i wanted to ask what to feed them?

4. do i leve the eggs shells in the bowl for them to feed on?

in the meantime i have put powdered flakes in the bowl for them to eat.

5. is that alright? ive also put in an airstone in the tank and a piece of algaed tank deco for some 'cycling' to be done in the tank and im changing the water twice a day. is that also alright?

6. do i have to put in some medications in the bowl?

sorry if im putting this post on the 'general discussion board' but on the breeding board no one seems to be replying (low acivity there.). :roll:

i read that my frys needed infusoria to feed on.

where can i get that? will the egg shells provide them with that thing? or will the powdered flakes be sufficient to sustain the frys?

do you have any pics? ive never heard of corys spawning and id love to see!

here are the pics :!: :D

i think that i overfed the bowl.

do u think that will kill the frys? do i need to remove the food? (the powdered flakes)

Attachments

• dsc00447.jpg
    dsc00447.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 49
  • dsc00448.jpg
    dsc00448.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 131
  • dsc00449.jpg
    dsc00449.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 128
Great Images and well done 8) .
I am thinking about getting some corys for my discus tank i.e. to eat all left over food :) and was woundering how do you actually breed them ?

thanks.

well they spawned by accident. i had no intention of breeding them but now that its done i wanna save them as far as possible.

i always fed my corys with flake food and micro pellets. never used live food.
however my female corys always died after spawning. ive had two spawns: 1 failed and this one's successful up to now.

i collected the eggs in a bowl that i kep floating. pierced some tiny holes for water circulation (not sure if the water actually circulated) and place an airstone in the bowl.

when the frys got out of their eggs i removed them with a clean spoon and put then in another bowl with an airstone.

woo im tired of typing now. HTH.

I would remove left over food and waste to keep water quality suitable for them, the best way to do this is to use a piece of air line, i.e. place on end in the bowl and hold it firmly were there are no fry then suck up on the other end but not so you get water in your mouth lol. Then direct the end in the bowl to pick up all the waste and not the fry lol. I find this way great for breeding traps as well. But remember to keep your eye on it.

Congratulations! I had one cory baby survive in my 55 gallon community tank after my peppered corycats spawned by accident. I saw the eggs but never knew they actually hatched. The surviving baby was a good hider....I never saw him until he was about a fifth of an inch long. He looked just like the adults but translucent and so tiny! Now he is bigger and swims with the adults. It is strange to think that he has never known any world other than this tank.

I also have a female cory who looks like she hemorrhaged while or after laying eggs. Her entire female region is red/bloody under the skin and has remained that way for months now. She looks and acts perfectly healthy otherwise.

Your babies are adorable. Congratulations.

thanks.

my female albino corys were also red at certain parts of their body when they died. im thinking that maybe they were extremely tired after the spawn. however they acted normally before they died. :(

its a sea urchin shell. it was in my tank and has algae grown on it. this is perhaps a sign that it is cycled. what do u think?

I would go with live baby brine shrimp or microworms for food. If you have any small snails hanging around I would have one of them in the tank with the cory fry. I would not have the flake food in there as the water quality will turn on you quickly and result in some potential fry loss.

Good luck with your cory fry.

Mooooose

thanks again. i already have removed most of the flakes and will try to keep the water as clean as possible.

hey when i try to feed the frys my water turns full of powdered flakes again.

can i keep the flakes in the water and change half of the water twice or thrice a day or will it still cause water quality to fall?

also what about infusoria?

infusoria is a baby fish food, it's actually protozoa. Your LFS probably has some, dose it in the tank as soon as you get it. According to the bottle I picked up it's actually supposed to be started before the eggs hatch to give the protozoa time to reproduce.

I did some reading on this a while back and meant to do more. I'm still not sure if the stuff stays in the water column or attaches to surfaces. And I've read a couple times that there should be a healthy population of them in well planted tanks.

i second that you should definitely changer partial water in that bowl on a daily basis because otherwise you will have ammonia buildup, especially with the extra food.

Back
Top Bottom