GBR's Ready to Spawn!? Lots of Pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cobaltskyy said:
how long has it been running? I had mine up and running with fish for over a year :)

I just had to tear down, bleach and reset 2 wks ago. Used seeded media from my 29 that has been up for 5 mths.

Well eggs are still here! Mom and Dad are taking turns fanning the eggs, so far so good, im going to do a partial wc this evening. I have read the eggs will hatch in about 48 hrs correct?

excellent! Im very excited...once they hatch how long before i start feeding them the hard boiled egg yolk mixture?

I would say once they start swimming to keep a close eye on them, they will likely have yolk sacks still in which case they won't eat. You can tell this by their belly being yellow colored. Once the yolk sacks are absorbed then start feeding them.

kdpuffer said:
I would say once they start swimming to keep a close eye on them, they will likely have yolk sacks still in which case they won't eat. You can tell this by their belly being yellow colored. Once the yolk sacks are absorbed then start feeding them.

Thanks KD! This is my first shot at breeding egg layers.....do u recommend daily pwc's now with the eggs...im worried about fungus and such....I do have an airstone and I see them taking turns fanning the eggs...im sooooo hoping they survive!! I have been reading as much info online as i can get my hands on but i really appreciate all of the advice im getting on here! Thanks!!

ForumRunner_20120127_231345.jpg

ForumRunner_20120127_231404.jpg

ForumRunner_20120127_231432.jpg

As long as the parents are cleaning the eggs they should be fine. Its more exciting when they start hatching and start swimming with the parents :)

interesting...last night the eggs were still like an amber color. this morning I turned the lights on and there seem to be less eggs and they look very pale....part of the process???

well on second look....after i woke up a little bit.....looks like they ate the eggs :( they are young and this was their first successful spawn so Im not surprised. Hopefully next time! :-/ How often do they spawn??

Yeah not surprised at all it will probably take a few attempts. Hmmm not sure on how often,, it has been almost 2 years since i bred blue rams. You will get there though don't give up :)

Sorry about the lost. They will spawn again in a week or two. Pale eggs usually mean the male did not do his job.

One trick I found was to leave a night light on for the breeding pair so they will have a visual of where the eggs are. So far the success rate of the eggs reaching wigglers stage has been 100% with a night light.

We managed to pair off two GBR's and had eggs three days later. The eggs didn't make it thru the night. A week later, I woke up to the female having a nice size gouge in her forehead next to her left eye. They were not hanging out at all for several days.

It will be two weeks (tomorrow) for our couple since they first laid their eggs. I'm expecting them to try again soon if my male doesn't damage her anymore.

Wow she laid more eggs yesterday!! Same spot on the side of the rock... only 12 days since their last spawn. they seem determined, hopefully that determination will override their urge to eat them! LOL wish me luck!

Cobaltskyy said:
Wow she laid more eggs yesterday!! Same spot on the side of the rock... only 12 days since their last spawn. they seem determined, hopefully that determination will override their urge to eat them! LOL wish me luck!

YAY!!' Congrats! Let's hope they learn with more experience :)

We managed to pair off two GBR's and had eggs three days later. The eggs didn't make it thru the night. A week later, I woke up to the female having a nice size gouge in her forehead next to her left eye. They were not hanging out at all for several days.

It will be two weeks (tomorrow) for our couple since they first laid their eggs. I'm expecting them to try again soon if my male doesn't damage her anymore.

I'm glad your having better luck than I am. Our male killed our female even after spawning once with her. We initially brought a bunch of females home for him to pair off with and the little sh#t still killed her. :nono:

Should I get him another female or shall I trade him out for another male?

Ardynas said:
I'm glad your having better luck than I am. Our male killed our female even after spawning once with her. We initially brought a bunch of females home for him to pair off with and the little sh#t still killed her. :nono:

Should I get him another female or shall I trade him out for another male?

Wow that stinks...I would try another female and see what happens...

Cobaltskyy said:

And they ate them again. Its probably for the best, Im going to change over from artificial to live plants anyways....and Im going to try sand or fine gravel substrate.

Back
Top Bottom