GBR's Ready to Spawn!? Lots of Pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have had my pair of GBR's for about 8 months now...they were juvies from my lfs.

About 2 weeks ago I decided to follow some tips I found online, I added a semi-flat rock, slowly raised the temp to ~ 82F, been feeding FW variety frozen food 2-3 x's a week and daily for the last 3 days.

*Continued below...

View attachment 71582

View attachment 71583

View attachment 71585

View attachment 71587

View attachment 71588

ForumRunner_20120117_221040.jpg

The female was somewhat dull colored before but tonight when I came home she is highly colored and has the tell-tale PINK belly!!

Any suggestion or breeding tips would be great.

Last time I checked I believe I was at 0, 0, 5.5, 7.5Ph

10 gal tank with a couple Nerite Snails.

If they are becoming more active and doing their usual courting dance they will be spawning soon! I would pick that rock for the spawn site. Or even the sand, they might dig in the gravel. You're doing well with the variety of food, this will bring on the breeding.

Good luck, and don't forget sometimes these fish (bought from lfs) will eat their fry the first couple times so don't panic, but if they are a good pair they will look after their fry, hopefully they do!

this is sooo exciting! this is my first time breeding GBR's...dancing & kissing has begun! Anyone know how long the courting is? This is sooo fascinating :) I didn't want to turn the light on and disturb them...

ForumRunner_20120120_233253.jpg

I like the boiled egg yolks for fry personally. I recommend still using other foods as well, but they LOVE the yolks and its really easy for them to eat. :) Be careful though, it really doesn't take a lot of it. :)

thanks i read about pea size amount of yolk in a little bit of water? with an eye dropper? what other foods do you recommend? infusoria i read you can cultivate by putting a dried leaf in the tank...is that it?

Depending on how many fry, you may want to use even less than a pea sized amount. But, its easy to start with less and then add more. :)
I have not used infusoria. I use Hikari first bites, egg yoke, and crushed flakes for my fry. Its always worked out well so far. Yes, the eye dropper is a good idea so all of it goes in the right place. :)

any idea how long the courting ritual lasts before they spawn? i have never bred egg layers! this is so exciiting to me!

is male agression toward the female part of the courtship or has he turned on her?! i turned the light off a bit earlier tonight...have left them alone since the lights went out

The aggression is normal. To get mine to spawn I'd do just what you've been doing plus a 10% water change with the water being just slightly cooler. After that, a feeding of live brine. The next day, eggs.

10% daily? I did a 50% wc yesterday , frozen brine shrimp after. this am the female is no where near the male....he seems to be guarding nothing, maybe they had them and ate them? maybe too much "new" water? idk....

well still no eggs but they are back in love and both their coloring is amazing, temp is about 85F.....fingers crossed!

still nothing yet, they seem to be cleaning a spot on a rock and the side of the cave...hopefully it will be soon!

If all else fails bust out some Barry manilow that is a full proof trick to get things going rofl

Back
Top Bottom