Glow fish tetras(white skirt) gender question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedHellen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone tell me if I have all females or is one of them a male? Also are they gravid? They seem to be rounded bellied. I'm a newbie so just want to know if something is wrong or should I start looking for eggs?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428167496.561080.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok I tried but they are a little blurry ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428167649.463419.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428167668.813390.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428167687.232292.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428167700.717574.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What I've found:

"Generally speaking, the females are larger and more rounded in shape. The leading edge of the anal fin of the female runs parallel to the posterior vertical stripe (when the fish haven't had their colouration modified). Your best compromise is to look at the leading edge of the anal fin when fully extended. The male will be more "swept back" while the female is more vertical. The female's anal fin also tends to be more narrow than the males. Males tend to have broader anal and more pointed dorsal fins."

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thank you for your reply. The more I look at them I believe the Orange one might be a male. So do you think the others are gravid or is it hard to tell in the pics?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advic

Yeah I agree the Orange one looks male and the females do look gravid IMO.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

If they do spawn it's not likely any will make it without being eaten, but if you look, viable eggs glow under uv light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for info! Is there any way to tell when or if something might happen? Will the females eventually get rid of the eggs somehow if they don't spawn? Guess you can tell I'm a newbie!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advic

Back
Top Bottom