?Gourami ?breeding ?tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrearyGrayWorld

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I just set up a tank for my pair of Gouramis (blue gourami female and gold gourami male) they are both very pretty and I can tell they like each other so I'd like to breed them. I tried once before but the bobble nest failed I think due to current. I didn't want to buy a new filter so I'm trying my aqua clear 30 gal and I put a sponge filter on it XD. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408409898.149404.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408409909.216896.jpg

So what I did was build a brick wall in the middle with a tunnel at the bottom for the current and for them to swim between. The left side is about 5-6 inch deep with plant leafs floating on the top with 0 current. The right side has all kinds of current but don't affect the left side any. I figured I would feed on the right side to keep everything from the bubble nest.

So I guess my questions

Will this work?

Will they be able to make there bubble nest?

Are bricks :p ok to use in the aquarium?

Do you think it's a good idea?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408471136.995718.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408471148.311597.jpg

Thought I'd show the breeding pair... I'm sure they won't be to picky on there environment figured I would just ask I just want to be a good fish owner XD.

And psh I'm Proud of the tank I thought it was a good idea XD but wanted to be sure ?

Keep this updated! Can't wait to see how it goes. I have limited experience with gourami and no experience breeding then. Good luck! I hope the experts chime in.

What is the brick made out of?

Sent from my iPhone

Not 100% sure this is a picture of one XD

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408472554.706598.jpg

Thanks for your comment and I'll be sure to keep this updated :)!

Doesn't look like clay... Maybe concrete. I would do a quick google search and see what you come up with.

Sent from my iPhone

Oh I hope I don't have to take it apart I know the bricks are from the 70s XD

One thing to note about Gourami fry is that they do not do well with any kind of water movement until after they have developed their labrynth organ.
Another potential drawback to your setup is that since the fry are so small, their food will also need to be small and as such, will easily get lost in the gravel making it difficult for the fry to find it. I have always found it best to breed these fish in bare bottom tanks with floating and anchored bunch type plants for the fry to find infusoria in. Cover the tank with saran or plastic wrap to keep the humidity in and no filtration until the fry are at least a couple weeks old. At that point, an air driven sponge filter is recommended as HOB filters move too much water and can suck up the fry.

You should also keep in mind that the gold gourami is a color morph of the blue gourami so it is possible that you will only get blue gourami babies from this pairing as blue will be the dominant gene.

Hope this helps (y)

Ok wow that did make me look at it all different thanks very much I'll update tank tomorrow. I got an idea on how to still use same plants. Taking a lot out of the tank it's not needed. I'll post a picture thanks A lot I think I got it now XD

Ok wow that did make me look at it all different thanks very much I'll update tank tomorrow. I got an idea on how to still use same plants. Taking a lot out of the tank it's not needed. I'll post a picture thanks A lot I think I got it now XD

Andy is my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone

Ok here are the changes :). I don't have right plants so I kinda made a container for these to keep fri out of. Gravel. I got the air stone filter ready to use and I got a couple hiding places for female.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408567159.004620.jpg

Just useing carbon filter for now to move the water better...do you think this set up will work?

After they build there nest and fill it up I'll take air stone out and put Saran Wrap over the whole thing

I hope I get a little gold in my baby Gouramis all blue XD makes me want to buy a gold female XD but I'll work with what I got lol

Ok here are the changes :). I don't have right plants so I kinda made a container for these to keep fri out of. Gravel. I got the air stone filter ready to use and I got a couple hiding places for female.

View attachment 247434

Just useing carbon filter for now to move the water better...do you think this set up will work?

After they build there nest and fill it up I'll take air stone out and put Saran Wrap over the whole thing

Wrong approach. ;) Just use 5"-6" of water now, remove the filter and airstone. now, put the fish in and close the tank up with the saran wrap and leave them alone. You don;t want to fill the tank up with water until the fry are much larger and able to easily come to the surface to breathe. That will be well after the sponge filter is in use.

I suggest you read through the following: Gourami Breeding
The only thing different that I do is skip the part with the gravel. It just makes life a lot easier.

(y)

Ok so don't run air filter at all? Just throw them in with bubble rap over whole thing to have high humidity. After that I should wait for them to start the bobble nest? And when they finish the bobble nest take parents out and seal it back up?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408640434.014747.jpg

I'm trying my best to understand everyone. lol XD part I didn't get before is have shrink wrap on before they build nest and pump off. nothing was clear on that subject or I didn't read right lol.

When the article talks about haveing filter off it says "filter of" XD and had phone on speak lol so on didn't catch it...
Grr I'll get gourami baby's! Just wait and see I'll have 100s XD

Many years ago, I was at a fish farm near Tampa, Florida that raised Gouramis. Here was their breeding set up:
Styrofoam shipping box
Full box plastic bag
Water
Floating plant
Pair of fish

I saw stacks of these boxes and being the curious fellow that I am ( :brows: ) I looked into them and saw each box was as described. That's how easy Gourami's are to breed IF you have the right conditions.
The fry are fragile so they don;t need the things other fish fry need. The parents are air breathers so they do not use up the oxygen in the water they spawn in. PLUS, the plant gives off oxygen. The fry will consume very little of the oxygen in the water and will develop the labrynth organ and not need the oxygen in the water at all. More fry die from being unable to develope the labrynth due to low humidity at the water surface. Make sure you keep the saran tight and closed and close quickly after feeding. ( I used a turkey baster to squirt their food into the tank so I would only have to open a very small corner of the saran wrap). Water changes will not be necessary until you start feeding foods other than green water. So no panics there ;)

I suggest you just let the fish do their thing. They really don;t need much of your assistance. Just make sure the temp is up to about 80 degrees. If it gets too hot, the fry develop too fast and will usually not fare well in the long run.

Hope this helps (y)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409096079.119384.jpg
Was very shocked to see baby's swimming around!! I thought I failed again!! But I'd say got 50 baby's! Took male and female out late so they might of killed some.... But I'm very happy I can get so many on my first time I'll do better next time :)!!!

Thanks for your help everyone!!

Thanks Andy! Any advice on taking care of them??

Back
Top Bottom