Guppy Pregnancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ethanniebergall

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i have a female guppy that has been pregnant now for a while possibly 15 days or so, and i have a floating isolation breeder to put her in when she is about to give birth so i can then take her out and let the babies be isolated and safe. My question is when can i exactly put her in the isolated breeder, i don't want her to get stressed out by it and cause her to abort the babies, i just wanna make sure i can extract the babies and keep them safe in the isolation area because i wanna keep if at all possible every baby from being eaten. Thanks!

If it is a really good size breeder, then I would put in now. Else when quite squared off in shape (like a tiny tank I always think).

Hey ethanniebergall,

I tried putting my female guppies too into a breeding tank against everyone's advice, but it does stress them most of the time, and if they are they won't drop. (I really don't know how all those peeps with youtube videos do it, but anyway). I would rather put them in a different tank or put many plants and turn the lights down low. You can catch your fry with a cup (as they stick around the water surface) and put them in the plastic breeding tank and that will work amazing and it's a great way to see them grow!

Hope this helps you a bit

Nowadays, those breeding boxes are turned down by most people. But back in the '70's and '80's nobody was complaining about them. They were used by so many people. And yes, these boxes can stress those females out but back then it hardly caused some problems with the females. It seems that nowadays more stillborns are dropped than back then using those breeding boxes if I read all the remarks on the net.

But I don't use floating breeding boxes. All of the fry born are being dropped in the tank itself. Overhere, in most tanks the adults are so used to having smaller tankmates around that they'll leave the fry alone.

Back
Top Bottom