Help! Is my molly pregnant or just fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brianmatje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a dalmation molly that has a very large tummy with orange spots around it. How do i know if she is pregnant or just fat.

I thought being pregnant was the usual state for female mollies. They can have 5 or 6 batches from 1 breeding. They store the sperm. On most colors, you can see the gravid spot on the tummy. Blacks and marbrls you can't see. Welcome to the world of live bearers. Better start shopping for another tank :lol:

It sounds like you may be having a new family of mollies in your tank! Be prepared because I had two females that had babies almost every day for a week. We had so many little guys that we had to keep sending them back to the lfs.

My friends mollies were pregnant but when they gave birth, most of them just started floating :S it was quite distressing to see

SHould I pu her in another tank because it seems likes she is getting stressed a bit by another female molly.

I think that would be best, then when she gives birth you can move her back. I'm not sure if thats the right thing to do, but it's what I would do. I belive they give birth more then once because they store sperm, so make sure you ask around.

Back
Top Bottom