How long before my molly gives birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me how long before my molly gives birth? I don't know if i should put her into a breeding container.... i don't want her to abort from stress!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1407928341036.jpg
    1407928341036.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 1407928361547.jpg
    1407928361547.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 58
Your Molly

Can anyone tell me how long before my molly gives birth? I don't know if i should put her into a breeding container.... i don't want her to abort from stress!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello Pol...

Don't worry about when. Livebearers can hold off on birthing until the time is right for fry survival. The best thing to do is keep the water as pure as possible with large, regular water changes. When you change the water, make the new water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank. I like to add a bit of standard aquarium salt, about a teaspoon or two for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. I've kept Livebearers for some years and am a fan of using a little aquarium salt. The fish will be a bit healthier with a regular dose added to their tank water. Your Mollie is a brackish water fish, so the need for salt is more important. The combination of a lot pure, warm water and a little salt will encourage birthing if the female is close.

Just one reporter's opinion who keeps a lot of livebearing fish.

Do what you feel is best.

B

Back
Top Bottom