I need a lot of help with Green Terror eggs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a very large GT and anoter one that isn't so large. The large one is a female, the small is a male. Early this morning I noticed that the smaller GT was wiggling rappidly, like convulsing and such. I've been watching and the large GT had a lot of swollen tissue coming out of the well...you know. So about 20 minutes ago she started laying eggs, and I guess the male is going to fertilize them...

Now, I have no freaking idea how to care for eggs...what to to when they hatch...ect ect... They are in a 150 gal tank with 2 oscars, 2 parrots, 1 pacu, 1 tinfoil barb, 1 striped cat, 1 pleco, 1 pink convict, another small GT, and...thats about it.

So how am I supposed to keep the fry from getting eaten? Do I just let it alone and see what happens...then when they hatch I try scooping them up and putting them in one of those baby net deals....?????

Help me out guys, I need to whole deal, the low down, the ins and outs...everything...So anything you tell me (if its correct) will help me out.

I had a very mean Jack Dempsey in there but cought him and put him in another tank. Probobly going to take him back to the lfs tomorrow...Toooo aggressive.

Here is the male and the female hiding where her eggs are.
2070368_187_full.jpg

It's unlikely that the GT parents will be able to fend for their brood in a tank with so many larger fish. It might happen that they will allow the eggs to hatch but more than likely they will be eaten by the parents.

The truth is it's simply unpractical to try and raise accidental spawns in a populated tank. If you want to breed these fish in the future, it's best to set up a tank with that purpose in mind.

I agree with what brian said, they will most likely be lunch in this case either for the other fish or the mum will not feel safe and eat them herself.
However there is also a chance your gt's will kill everything in the tank to protect them as well. They don't call them "terrors" for nothing, as they truely live up to the name.

IF they can hatch them you can seperate them into a floating fry saver once they are free swimming. Use a good quality flake and mush then in between your fingers in the water to feed them. This softens and distrubutes the food really finely so it's big enough for the tiny fry..(1-3mm MAX).
don't be suprised either way, but I hope all goes well. :)

Matt

ps. btw, very VERY nice GT's, my female was kind of "drab" compared the one you pictured in the other thread as well.

Back
Top Bottom