Is my ghost shrimp pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squiffy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't tell.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1412911035604.jpg
    1412911035604.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 105
Yes, very very pregnant. I'm not to experienced with shrimp but I know basically any fish will eat the baby's. WhT fish do you have?

I have 5 danios in the tank. But lots of hiding places for the shrimp. But if the danios will eat the babies i can move the fish to the platy tank. I don't want to move the shrimp because of how fragile they are. Should i move the fish for a bit?

Honestly, you'd have a better chance of moving the pregnant shrimp then the danios. They might even be okay, since danios are fairly tiny.

Cool. I'd love to not move anyone. Maybe I could get a divider to keep them separated just in case.

The shrimp should choose a hiding spot on its own to give birth, good luck!

Thanks!

Hope I won't burst any bubbles, but you won't get baby shrimp, at least, not like a cherry shrimp does. Ghost shrimp have larvae, which take a few days to morph into shrimplets that look like the adults.

The eggs will drop down low on the swimmerets, and then one by one, drop off. They float to the top where they hatch. Depending on temperature, they take roughly four days to morph from invisible larvae to tiny shrimplet. If you get any, they will hang upside down just below the water surface for about 3 more days and sink to the bottom at night. Typically not many survive, because fish eat them. But I have had quite a few survive to adulthood in a 29G community tank with danios and cories and other fish.

It helps to have floating plants. If you can move the shrimp to a separate tank with a sponge filter, you may have a decent shot at raising the babies. You'll notice the eggs have gone, then wait and see if you get shrimplets at the surface a few days later. Keep the temp steady at about 74, provide plants and ideally some driftwood, once they start free swimming they will graze on these and the sponge filter too.

Back
Top Bottom