Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you're going to make a predator tank there's going to have to be some prey. Pellets are just paying someone else to grind up the prey for you so you don't have to watch.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

sooooo how are the fry? will the store give u anything?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fry are doing good, haven't talk to my lfs yet because i'm going to wait till the convicts are big enough.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Regular

convicts and their eggs

Hi, as daft as it may sound, i am new at fish keeping and to see what i saw today, well words cant explain as ive been waiting so long for this to happen..firstly i was doing my usual water change and me female convict bit me...so funny, i couldnt stop laughing..over the past few days my pair convicts have displayed some behaviours that was strangely amuzing...making mountains with sand, making little dens ect...we have just got a new 4ft tank and i put this down to just exploring the new surroundings...

When i finished doing water change i just had a look round the side of the take and to my surprise we have hundreds of eggs splattered up the filter..wow i thought, but now im like omg what do i do now..

The other week i managed to catch and save 5 silver doller eggs and put them in a baby tank i had, but when i woke up the next day one of my knight gobys had jumped in the baby tank and obviously ate them.I was gutted....

So now im panicy as i want to try and save what will become of these eggs...i know i cant touch them until they hatch...any advice on what i should or shouldnt, well anything would be greatly appreciated.....thanks..
Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Regular

convicts and their eggs

Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	19091
Old 06-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist

thats so awesome, mine just laid their first batch of eggs today as well!!! I am so excited to see if they will care for the young or not...
Old 06-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh wow happy birthday to you to..lol...im keeping a watchful eye on them, i have no idea of what i am in for, so lets hope they do a good job eh...
Old 06-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah no kidding! its about 1pm here now and the eggs must have only been laid about 2 hours ago, and so far the mother is fanning them with her tail as the father keeps a very watchful eye...over nothing as they are the only ones in the 55gal tank...

my convicts still seem like babies to me as they themselves the parents are maybe an inch and a half and now will soon have babies of their own!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Regular

Its 18.10, i discovered the eggs like i said after she bit me when i was doing a water change.That was about 4ish...im not sure how long they been there,as im typing this im watching them as i have just fed the fish and i have a very large plec who is watching them like a hawk....my female is about 5 months older than the male and its only recently since he has got alittle bit bigger have i noticed them breeding...mine are around 3 ins..they are doing a good job protecting the area as i have a 400l tank with many other varieties of fish in...
Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

well hopefully I have taught them well and will be good parents and not eat the fry when they hatch like i have read a couple times...
Old 06-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Regular

lol, well keep me in touch on how it goes...good luck..
Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you and you too...I feel so old now...I'm a grandpa...my babies are all grown up...hahaha
Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Regular

lol....i know the feeling,im 35 and a nana....now im having to do it all over again,but this seems alot easier...haha
Old 06-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ive posted a short video on youtube"convicts and their eggs"..
Old 06-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Activist

your convicts are definitly bigger than mine, but looks like a similar size batch of eggs, I'm only 22...i guess I dont feel that old....ha
Old 06-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Regular

haha, yeah she a big one. beautiful colours on her...hes not as big but he doing a good job so far..
Old 06-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a quick update:

The babies are almost 2in now, going to contact my lfs to see if they want some, if not I don't know what i'm going to do with the babies. The female has to be separated from the male every once in awhile, the male is probably 5in now and the female is only 3in. She hasn't grown as fast as he has. He just gets to rough with her and I just put her in a breeder trap for a few days to a week and then release her.

They have been breeding with the babies in there but the new ones don't survive long, the make it just before free swimming stage.

Nothing else to new.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mother and Eggs

Just thought I would post a picture or two
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3287.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	19109   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3291.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	19110  

Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Regular

just a quick update, the eggs hatched yesterday,(must have waited until i popped out as bn watching them all the time lol...). 3 days after laying. I noticed a vibrating pile underneath where she laid the eggs up the filter wall,so the fun begins.haha.This morning i woke to find she had moved the fry close by in a safe sand pit, the parents have been busy digging a hole under some driftwood which im persuming she will be transfering them into it.Parents seem a little carmer in respect to threats from other fish but are still protecting well..( lovely pics btw)
Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes mine have hatched as well, I noticed when they hatched she would pluck them off the roof of the flower pot and spit them out on the bottom, the male would help as well, there is just a small mass in the back corner of the pot now, the eggs were all a whitish color now its all black is yours the same? and thanks i was surprised how the pics came out! i need some more rocks to make a nicer cave...lol...

Tags
breed, breeding, convict, convicts, log

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com