Male yellow lab confusing male red zebra as female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skald89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two red zebras in my tank. I believe it is 1 male and 1 female. The male has lost its color but I know its a male because it does the 'dance' to entice the female. However when it does it and at other times my male yellow lab tries to entice the male (faded) red zebra. Can cichlids confuse gender? I believe its happening because the male lost it's color and it confuses my yellow lab to think its a girl.

I would like the red zebras to breed. I do have other yellow labs in the tank but they are tiny compared to this yellow lab. I was thinking to help them. I would remove the male red zebra for a week or two. This way it can feel safe and bring back its color, which would show its a male to my yellow lab. Does any of this make sense?

This is the red zebra.

Attachments

• P1010233.jpg
    P1010233.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 143
  • P1010235.jpg
    P1010235.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 128
  • P1010237.jpg
    P1010237.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 132
  • P1010238.jpg
    P1010238.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 123
skald89 said:
Around a year ago it had a nice orange color.

If you believe it is not a red zebra, what else can it be?

I googled it and he could be he's just pale but wait for some one else to chime in.

Fishguy1997 said:
I googled it and he could be he's just pale but wait for some one else to chime in.

That is a red zebra.. My friend breeds them, & his are first generation wild caught... His females look that color & his males are brighter.. Fishguy you are right too, yours is a red zebra too, but it was reproduced that red for sales.. If that's yours did you get it from a lfs, or a known breeder? Just curious.. Back to the OP, the breeder told me(as he breeds zebras, labs, Hara, rusty, maingano,) that red zebras, & labs.. Look so similar, they will crossbreed if the
M:F ratio isn't right.. & as your zebras colors may be faded cause the lab is more
Dominant & there may not be enough females? Thats just what ive been told, & researched..

That is a red zebra.. My friend breeds them, & his are first generation wild caught... His females look that color & his males are brighter.. Fishguy you are right too, yours is a red zebra too, but it was reproduced that red for sales.. If that's yours did you get it from a lfs, or a known breeder? Just curious.. Back to the OP, the breeder told me(as he breeds zebras, labs, Hara, rusty, maingano,) that red zebras, & labs.. Look so similar, they will crossbreed if the
M:F ratio isn't right.. & as your zebras colors may be faded cause the lab is more
Dominant & there may not be enough females? Thats just what ive been told, & researched..

I sold mine a week ago. I do kinda miss this fish, it was somewhat unique.

Does your friend have pics of his wild caught red zebra?

skald89 said:
I sold mine a week ago. I do kinda miss this fish, it was somewhat unique.

Does your friend have pics of his wild caught red zebra?

It's not wild caught, it's first generation.. So their parents were wild caught.. I've got a picture of the tank they are in, not as good as a up close.

Attachments

• image-3728847476.jpg
    image-3728847476.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 159
Back
Top Bottom