Muppies vs Gollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bitz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been doing tons of research on Muppies (Male Molly and Female Guppy) and Gollies (Male Guppies with Female Mollies)... I've only found materials regarding the Muppies working out... Does any one have experience in these matters? I have a fresh batch of black molly fry and if it is the case of female mollies needed for this hybrid I want to segregate the female fry before sexual maturation so as to ensure their virginity so to say.:)

Any comments from those with experience or knowledge is very appreciated :):thanks:

I have not done it myself but have done allot of reading on and very interested on the matter, if you don't mind I want to follow this thread and see what you find out. I've been wanting to try this myself

too bad it wasn't female mollies for sure... in that case I could just use my untainted female molly fry haha

Mind you I have heard that mollies sexually mature anywhere between 8 weeks and 6 months... soooo not really sure how i"m going to go abouts this...

I've read that a guppy and a platy can't cross but I'm going to try it. So I put my female platy in the tank I keep my male guppy in. I know she's still a virgin because I got her when she was a fry. She hasn't been in there a full 20 minutes and he's already trying to breed with her

Best if luck! I've seen many people scoff at the idea... saying its either not possible or cruel or they will get ill or they do not produce viable offspring.... I've only read accusations though... no first hand accounts of such mishaps... otherwise I'd be second thinking this trial...

The few things I recall reading on the subject resulted in very high mortality /infertility rates on successful spawns.

I've not found any scientific journals on it though, just hobbyist stuff. High mortality and infertility are a normal occurrence when hybridizing though. It's mother nature's way.

Last edited:
Search youtube. There are a few successful claim on there.

Hello all. :)

Now I don't know if anyone is going to believe me, but I have actually bred gollies. (I have been calling them muppies for a while, whoops!)

I have a virgin balloon belly molly, and about a month and a half ago I introduced two male cobra guppies into my tank. (The only other fish in the tank is a betta; there is also a ghost shrimp)
One of the guppies died the next day. (I should know better than to buy fish from petsmart. :/)
I saw the other guppy trying to mate with the molly (I thought unsuccessfully) many times over the next week. He unfortunately died shortly after.

Over the next few weeks I noticed my molly getting larger and quite exhausted. I thought she may have gotten something the guppies had.

One day I woke up and saw fry! I fished them out and put them into a fish bowl, trying to keep them from being eaten. I estimate there are about 25 of them.

After the fry were safe I looked it up online... and to my complete surprise, molly and guppies can breed!

So yes they can breed, I discovered completely by accident.

I have some pictures if anyone would like to see, but the fry were born on the 23rd so they're only a few days old as of now. They are growing so fast. :)

I obviously have no proof to back his up but, there's my story.

Hello all. :)

Now I don't know if anyone is going to believe me, but I have actually bred gollies. (I have been calling them muppies for a while, whoops!)

I have a virgin balloon belly molly, and about a month and a half ago I introduced two male cobra guppies into my tank. (The only other fish in the tank is a betta; there is also a ghost shrimp)
One of the guppies died the next day. (I should know better than to buy fish from petsmart. :/)
I saw the other guppy trying to mate with the molly (I thought unsuccessfully) many times over the next week. He unfortunately died shortly after.

Over the next few weeks I noticed my molly getting larger and quite exhausted. I thought she may have gotten something the guppies had.

One day I woke up and saw fry! I fished them out and put them into a fish bowl, trying to keep them from being eaten. I estimate there are about 25 of them.

After the fry were safe I looked it up online... and to my complete surprise, molly and guppies can breed!

So yes they can breed, I discovered completely by accident.

I have some pictures if anyone would like to see, but the fry were born on the 23rd so they're only a few days old as of now. They are growing so fast. :)

I obviously have no proof to back his up but, there's my story.
Welcome to the forum. How do you know for sure that the female was a virgin?

You should do some week by week photos of the babies and post them on a thread so we can see how they progress.

I had her since she was smaller than a dime, and she was in my tank with only my betta for about six months after that.

I'll put some pictures up asap.

I just had one of my mollies give birth to 3 gollie fry today too! I would love to see pictures of yours to compare how they look as they grow. :)

I am in the planning process of setting up a live bearer tank so this is interesting to me. I will be following as well.

Back
Top Bottom