My apple snails laid eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
:D Okay I just noticed them today they are in a huge group on my tank lid. They are right by where the airstone is so the water that splashs is keeping them moist. Now I'm not sure what happens from here... I have by my guess best guess 400-500 at least lol. I read that they can take from 2-4 weeks to hatch. Not sure if they eat anything different than the adult snails. Oh and at the moment there is only a betta and the 2 apple snails in the tank. Not sure if the betta would eat the baby snails if they hatched though... Any information on keeping the eggs a live would be helpfull thanks. :D

Well, I doubt the snails would get eaten, I have so many and they aren't large snails. I am assuming that the babies are pretty big when they hatch. And the odds are high of life because of safety in numbers any ways :) SO I think they would be fine. But what would you do with all those monster snails if they live!?!?!?! Not sure about the food though, maybe the same stuff to eat.

The betta might eat a few but after hatching 2 clutches of eggs I had enough snails to stock a 55g, 20g, and 29g tank. So long as they stay moist but not soaked the eggs will hatch. Occasionally snails do knock down their own eggs when looking for a spot to lay another clutch but I gurantee if they do that you'll have more. Time to start asking the local stores if they want some snails. I'm getting ready to sell my olive and purple striped ones on aquabid.com. I think I have around 50 adult snails and 200 babies in a 55g tank. They do produce good plant fertilizer though.

Back
Top Bottom